Best Clock Oil to use.

Michael-BTD

Dec 3, 2016
Cooma NSW
Country
Region
I am after some opinions...

In the past I always have used Mircogliss D3 & D5 for clocks, its time to order more oil and am wondering if this is still the best option.

Thanks!

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
use the google search trick to find the countless (not really: 4000+!) posts about this. :)

the trick is to add ' site:nawcc.org' to your search params, i.e.:

best clock oil site:mb.nawcc.org

as i've gotten better at clock repair ('better', not necessarily 'good'!) i now have horolube (original) for general use, horolube (new) for lighter stuff (like EW teeth and pallets), and a couple of others obtained along the way.

Michael-BTD

Dec 3, 2016
Cooma NSW
Country
Region
Thanks for the reply. I did search but no recent posts turned up in the results (within the 12 months).

This being the largest online horological community I assumed there would be people that are up to date on new products or industry standards. :)

dad1891

Feb 28, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Country
I have been using D-5 and 9020. I'm very happy with the D-5, not quite as impressed with the 9020. I think that when the 9020 runs out I am going with the D-3.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Several of us have switched over to Mobile 1 Synthetic. It stays in place and does a very good job with the more common tall case and mantel clocks. Get the lightest one. 0-20 weight. One quart should last you for the rest of your life :D
It seems that everyone is selling one or another type of "clock oil" now. It's hard to know who to trust. But for sure, whatever you decide on, be sure it's synthetic oil.

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
Just to stress the need for synthetic oil, this is what happens to the non-synthetic type after a few years:
WIN_20210222_10_00_08_Pro.jpg
Simon

murphyfields

Jun 24, 2020
Westminster, CO
Country
Region
Just to stress the need for synthetic oil, this is what happens to the non-synthetic type after a few years:
You saying there is a problem there? I see a nice built in oil cap to keep everything right where it is supposed to be. As an added bonus, nothing prevents wear like totally freezing the motion.

Reactions: Simon Holt

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
I've read lots of recommendations from clock professionals to use fully synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1 is just one brand). They do vary concerning which weight to use, 0W-20 being common. Also, I read to use 10W-60 (I think) for springs.

I currently own a multiple-lifetime supply of both types since the minimum you can get is one quart/liter. If you live near me I'll be happy to fill up a little container for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff