Best battery quartz movement, a temporary replacement for a sick weight movement

TimelyFool

Oct 2, 2017
Fox River Grove, IL
Country
Region
Hi. Well I finally found a local clocksmith to repair my 8-day E.W. Adams strap movement. Figure it will take a month or two. In the meantime I thought I would temporarily install a battery-powered movement, my first experience with these modern substitutes. When my Adams movement returns to life I will reinstall it. I then can move the battery movement a mission tall clock which have all but given up on.

Figured the conversions can be done without making any structural modifications to either clock. Nothing that can't be undone.

Been on eBay and Timesaver. Many movements to choose from. Would like one capable of turning larger hands and has the best sound.

What are your picks of the litter? Thanks. Timely.

PS to see my Adams clock look for my last two posts. TF

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I'll move this over to clock repair as I think you might get a broader target audience there.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I wouldn’t… quartz movements mount through the center hole and a big washer goes in front to secure it in place.... It probably wouldn’t mark up the dial, but why take the chance?

Also, timesavers can talk you through your quartz movement options with pendulums (that will drive larger hands), but I just put one in a clock and while the ‘pendulum’ swings back and forth it doesn’t look as good as the real deal... better than nothing, but not the real thing.

Reactions: lpbp

Cheezhead

Dec 30, 2010
Wisconsin
Country
Region
An ebay vendor might describe the sound as being realistic and some are very good now but if I wanted to buy a quartz chime movement that doesn't use real chime rods, a fair request to the vendor whether ebay, Merritts, Timesavers or anyone else would be to have a recording of the sound emailed to you. This can be easily done with a smartphone.

I have only one quartz chime clock that sounds good, a small anniversary clock from a charity resale store. The chime is too quiet even with the volume control at max which is likely why it was donated. What little chime sound it produces is impressively realistic and surprisingly, the low volume is good in that the chime has never become overbearing.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I would just wait ...
Willie X
Willie is right, just wait. You say your movement will be done in a month or two, so why go to all the hassle of trying to find a quartz movement in the interim? Besides, in my opinion, a quartz movement doesn't belong in a fine old clock unless there is no other option at all.

But that's just my opinion..........

JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The Quad (Mark Butterworth) is the best sounding quartz I have found, but it's going to cost a little and as a temporary situation may not be worth it. Also, you would need to either alter your existing hands (don't do that) or get some replacement hands to fit the "I" shaft movement. I'm also in favor of just waiting, but am skeptical of the 2 month estimate. I know I'm way further behind than that.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Ronell Clocks has a high-torque mvt with chime, strike, and pendulum. MCW-2507. Might give it a look. As Shutt says, You'd also need to get hands to go with it. They aren't expensive. You already have a Plan B for it when your movement comes back.

Might want to give it a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ksaylor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller