bergeon oil cup stand (newbee Q's)

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by justin time, Aug 4, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. justin time

justin time Registered User

Mar 24, 2007
    Searching the archives, there's a ton of info on oil ,and just as many opinions. Need recommendations for oil, as well as oilers.

I have a chrome, heavy bergeon 4 cup oil stand. Each cup is progressively larger. Is the purpose to use different oil in each cup? If so, what are the types that would correspond to the cup sizes?

I've read that synthetic may also be a good choice, and will serve to oil all parts.(nye PML 80) Thoughts?

My interest at the moment is in simple KW/KS Swiss cylinder and such pocket watches. For a beginner, this type was recommended, and I like them as well. (cost works too).

2. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    For the kind of watches that you want to work on, you do not need a large selection of oils or greases. Whatever you use, is far better than what they had when the watch was made.

You need a good general purpose synthetic watch oil. Non-synthetic oils will partially evaporate and polymerize in a year or two, while synthetic oils last for 7-9 years. You have to clean the watch more often than that because of dust (say about 3 years).

You need clock oil to lubricate setting wheels, mainspring barrel arbors and the mainspring itself. Some people like to use a mainspring grease for the mainspring itself, but you can use clock oil.

I like to use KT-22 grease for all levers at the point where they contact posts. It does not migrate to parts where it does not belong like other greases. Since you are doing a Key Wind, Key Set movement, you do not have much of this kind of thing because you do not have a setting or winding mechansim.

So, you can do a fine job with a general purpose watch oil and a good clock oil. When you expand to more sophisticated watches, then more oils and greases are needed. You can then go to a mainspring grease and a setting mechanism grease for use with watches that have stem setting and winding mechanisms. Smaller watches need lower viscosity oils on the pallets and smaller wheel arbors. When you get to modern wristwatches, you will have very specific oils that must be used in specific locations as specified by the manufacturer of the movement.

Don

3. justin time

justin time Registered User

Mar 24, 2007
    Thanks you Don, the education continues..... Is the grease applies in the same manner as oil?