Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool)

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by rstl99, Apr 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User

Oct 31, 2015
    Retired and free, with dog
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    I bought some used watch repair tools yesterday and in the pile was a Bergeon box containing a 30402 balance tool cutting tool, with the two cutters. It's in nice shape. There is no manual with it, it's fairly self explanatory, but I can't figure out what is the purpose of the tapered pin that one can screw vertically into the base.
    I'd appreciate someone educating me on this. Thanks.

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Robert,

That's a balance tack which holds the cock up out of the way whilst the balance is being worked on. It means you don't have to remove the balance from the cock.

Regards,

Graham

3. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User

Oct 31, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Hi Graham,
    Oh I see, yes that makes sense. Thank you very much for clarifying this for me. Time will tell whether I will use this tool or not to shed mass from balance screws (I gather from DeCarle that not all watchmakers favour this approach), but Bergeon tools are always such well thought out and manufactured little objects.
    In the parts and tools I acquired was a box containing 12 vials each containing small washers to add weight to balance screws, so I'll need to educate myself on when to add weight vs when to remove some!
    Cheers,
    --Robert

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Robert,

Adding weight will slow it down, removing will speed it up, but remember that the former is reversible but if the latter removes metal from the screws, and you overdo it, will require the addition of timing washers! Substituting lighter screws is a non-invasive way of reducing the weight. This is separate from poising or temperature compensation considerations.

Regards,

Graham

5. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not only don't overdo it, but stop and ask yourself why you are removing weight before doing so. Make sure you aren't just compensating for some other fault by removing (or adding) weight. The watch left the factory with a given balance weight and timed correctly. Ask yourself what changed between then and now.

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    It is a good comment.

7. rstl99

rstl99 Registered User

Oct 31, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Yes indeed very insightful and thoughtful comments, I appreciate you both for sharing the knowledge.
    Well I suppose it's nice to have that tool and those washers if/when I should ever need them, and to have a better idea now how and when to use them.
    Thank you again.

8. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Basically, these are factory tools. ie: for people who make watches.

9. Accutronica

Accutronica Registered User

Nov 21, 2016
    disabled
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Better to have a tool and not need it than to need it and not have it. That's the way I look at it also.

Robert