Bent Minute Arbor and Clock Identification

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Ravens_Time, Feb 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ravens_Time

Ravens_Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Hello one and all,

Please help me identify this time only metal wall clock. I was told it is french. The movement has a bent minute arbor which causes it to stop. Runs pretty well otherwise and I love the tiny pendulum. I am including photos of the case and the movement as well as the marking on the rear plate. I was afraid to try to straighten the arbor out of fear of snapping it off. How would you recommend proceeding? As always thank all of you for your invaluable help!!

Pat

FRWALL07.jpeg FRWALL03.jpeg FRWALL04.jpeg
    FRWALL01.jpeg FRWALL05.jpeg FRWALL06.jpeg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The French often used hardened steel for pivots. I'm not sure about their arbors. You can test it with a file. If the file just slips off, the arbor is hardened and will have to be annealed before you can bend it back. If the file wants to cut, then it's not hardened and you can go ahead and straighten it. You'll probably have to take it out of the movement to do that, but can sometimes do it without too. Can't help you with the movement or clock name :)

3. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much SB! I will try the file and report back. I would probably remove it like you suggest and chuck it in the lathe to get it as accurate as possible.

Thanks again,

Pat

4. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is there any chance that the minute arbor is soldered together? I've read here that they do that in French clocks, and it would make things difficult if anyone were to heat it to draw the temper.

It +is+ a nice little clock. I wonder what can be done about the finish of the case.

M Kinsler

5. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks vaguely like it might be out of a swinger.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This movement design was used by Japy Freres but I don't recall the logo to be one of theirs. It was copied by other companies including Lenzkirch, but this is clearly not a Lenzkirch.

Uhralt

7. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like it! The movement looks very well made.

8. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:

9. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your reply Uhralt. Any idea how old that design is? There are several personal markings that appear to go back to ‘22. They are hard to make out.

10. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    It looks to be very well made. The plates are very thick and if the spring fills the barrel it is enormous. I’m curious to find out how many days this clock was designed to run. I will update soon.

Pat

11. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would date the movement around 1910. The later dates you found are likely repair or service dates. It is likely an eight day movement but it wouldn't surprise me if it runs two weeks.

Uhralt

12. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Wow I have the same clock but mine is green. Send me the center shaft I'll straighten it for you.

13. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Bangster! Is a "Swinger" one of those that are fixed to statues? It does look similar to those if that's what you're referring to.

Pat

14. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    I disassembled the movement. The center arbor does appear to be hardened. The file scated right across. I annealed the arbor and chucked it up. As you can see this is quite a bit off. I'm still very nervous about bending this w/o breaking it. How would you suggest proceeding:???:

Thank you for your replies!

Pat

FRWALL08.jpeg

15. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First of all I would repeat the file test in the area to be bent to see if the annealing had worked. Then I would slide a hollow brass rod over the shaft down to slightly above the bend and use it as a lever to bend back carefully just a little bit. Compare against the tailstock center and repeat as needed. I might even repeat annealing if in any doubt.

Uhralt

16. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt! Great idea! I would not have thought of testing again with the file! I will try that. Is there any danger getting the wheel too hot as it it so close to the bend:???:

17. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might anneal the brass a bit but it shouldn't be critical because the teeth, that shouldn't be softened, will not get that hot. Good luck!

Uhralt

18. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I would turn it around and straighten on the bent end. You may create another bend the way you have it in your lathe. I do this with a dial indicator while rotating to insure true-ness. Start at the bend then keep pulling it out and testing it with the dial indicator. I use a brass rod to tap down while straightening. Never metal to metal.

19. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You have a lot of metal there, so I don't think breaking it is going to be a huge possibility. I also would turn it around, and you might be able to work the bend with just hand strength, so you can control it better.

20. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen! I like the dial indicator idea. I will try that. I understand turning it around in the lathe. SB...I like the idea of bending it with hand strength. RA...I think I understand what your saying. I was going to drill out a piece of brass stock to slip over the arbor. When its reversed in the lathe are you recommending I slip the brass rod over the short stub of arbor and tap down with a hammer?

FRWALL09.jpeg

Thanks Guys,

Pat

21. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    No tap the brass while it is on the arbor opposite side of the chuck. If you can taper the end like a straight slot screw driver and tap between the leaf pinion. This will keep the other end from bending < end not in the chuck. Put the indicator on the outside arbor.

22. BLKBEARD

BLKBEARD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2016
    HVAC, MECHANIC, CLOCK REPAIRER
    CT
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can also push the bend out using the tool post on your cross slide.
    This will give you a very controlled force. I always prefer a controlled bend, rather than pulling or pushing by hand.
    There's less chance of over-shooting your target.

Just for illustration purposes......You may find that of you push the bent shaft .020", when you release the pressure it springs back .005". So now you know that a .020" push will gain .015" removal of the bend.

Everything is controlled & measured, and a strait shaft should be achieved.

23. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Concerning the trade mark on your movement, this is to be found in Mikrolisk but sadly listed as 'unknown maker'.

JTD

24. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to all of you who replied! I borrowed a little from all the suggestions. Used hand strength, used the brass rod and used the cross slide on the lathe. Used the dial indicator and its as straight as I will ever get it! You guys are the best! I am still very new at this and I've been doing it for 4 years and I still feel like I started yesterday!. Plus I was able to use my new Lathe. JTD....Thanks for the info on the trade mark! Sure would be nice to find out a little about this thing. OK, now for the big question...since I annealed the arbor and since it holds the minute hand should I re-harden and then temper? I'm very concerned about getting the wheel too hot. Thanks again for your time!!!

Pat

25. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I personally would leave it as is. There is not much stress on this wheel (under normal circumstances).
    Uhralt

26. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    I was hoping someone would say that. Only stress I could think of would be when the hands are moved to set the time.

Thanks Uhralt

27. Ravens_Time

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Sumerduck, VA
    Country Flag:
    JTD thanks for the reply. I wasn’t familiar with Mikrolisk and just found it based on your reply. Cool site. Thank you

Pat