• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Bent Arbors

D

dmorrow

What are some techniques for straightening bent arbors?

thx.
Dave @ Olde Tymes

D

dmorrow

What are some techniques for straightening bent arbors?

thx.
Dave @ Olde Tymes

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Dave,

You have posted this question twice within 30 minutes, both times on the Clock Repair message board. It is probably sufficient to post this just once. If you are not getting any answers, and you wish to keep your post at or near the top of the message board, simply return to your original post, look for the REPLY button on the bottom right of your most recent post, click on it, and then add the message "refresh", or "top", or words to that effect.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Dave - Timesavers makes a little device just for that purpose. The main consideration is the temper of the steel. If it's tempered it will break. You have to heat it to red, let it cool, do the bending, heat it back up and cool it fast in water or oil to reset the temper.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
My two arbor straigheners are either two Pairs Of Pliers or a Mk1 Finger And Thumb :biggrin:
I would take care making arbors glass-hard after annealing - they are brittle and can shatter. If you must, then temper down to a blue.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
I presume we're talking about a naked arbor --wheel and pinion removed. Otherwise, trying to anneal it could get fairly gruesome, couldn't it?

bangster

P

Peter G Mitchell

Dave,
Do you have a lathe ? if so put the arbor in a chuck almost up to the wheel, turn the lathe by hand sighting the end of the pinion against the "T" rest, tweek with thumb until running true, then gradually draw the arbor out of the collet repeating the process until you are at the end of the arbor, do the same to the other end of the arbor if necessary.
Pete

D

dmorrow

well, partially naked. I've removed the lantern pinions, as both arbors needed re-pivoting and couldn't otherwise get at them. In addition, one of the arbors was been underneath the pinion. Seems no matter what I do, they will not straighten out. I lack a dial indicator to guide me. They seem bent in several places, so I'm learning patience.
thx for the insights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent