Bending flat brass for a click spring

bytes2doc

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2009
Tennessee
Country
Region
In Bill Smith’s book on construction of a skeletal clock, he states the click spring is made out of 1/16 brass sheet. Lay it out and cut it down. Then bend into the final shape that has a 1 9/16 radius. No details on how to do that.

Just how does one go about bending it into a curve with such a radius? I tried light hammer strokes along the edge while clamped into a vise, which does bend it, but the bending is not continuous so it ends up with a bunch of humps.

Ideas?

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
I like to bend it around a form. A socket set will give you a variety of different diameters to work with. Just clamp the socket in the bench vise to hold it while you bend the click. It will spring back some, so a somewhat smaller radius than the final dimension may be needed. I don't think the exact radius is critical. Just give it a curve that looks good and contacts the click in the correct place.

Which clock are you building?

bytes2doc

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2009
Tennessee
Country
Region
Thanks for the replies and ideas, will give them a try this weekend. Maybe if I cut the stock thinner it will be easier.

I’ve been working on Bill’s scroll skeleton clock, what seems like forever. I have to leave the project for months at a time and even once for an entire year. The click is something I forgot to do, but when complete, onto the dial and motion works, and final polishing.

Not sure what I’m going to do about the dial as I only have a mini lathe. I do have a mini mill and thinking of offsetting the material while mounted on a rotary table.

Thinking about your clock Allan for my next clock.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool