Bench Grinder

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by ticktock, Dec 11, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Fairly simple question but purchased 2 wheel bench grinder with medium and coarse at local Home Depot. Used it for shaping tool bits, drills, cutting tools, and wood products. Does the wheel need to be dressed and what is used and can it be purchased locally? The wheels do have some gunk on the surface of them.

tick

2. doc_fields

doc_fields Registered User

Sep 29, 2004
    Male
    Clockmaker/Watchmaker
    Greentop, MO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ask at Home Depot for a wheel dresser. It has a steel or cast handle, with little hardened wheels/cutters on the end that you press against the wheel while running and will dress the face. You have to make sure you hold the dresser perfectly in line with the grinding wheel to get an even cut all the way across.......................gf

3. ticktock

ticktock Registered User

Aug 24, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Doc.
    On another note I have noticed this website is running extremely slow. Wonder what issues they are having.

tick

4. bkerr

bkerr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Male
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Canal Fulton,OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The dresser DOC refers to is a Desmond dresser. The stars are hardend steel. I suggest going to a local industrial supply or visit some of the online guys (MSC, Grainger and others) You will find some good quality stuff there. BTW the dresser is also use to "true the wheel". This puts it in the round and reduces vibration.

5. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    Your grinding wheels need to be dressed on a regular basis. Frequent light dressing is much better than waiting until the wheel needs a heavy dressing. Proper dressing keeps the wheel true and sharp so it cuts faster and cooler.

A Desmond or Huntington dresser is fine for light dressing.

If you get better wheels, then you will want a better dresser.

I prefer the Norton 3X blue wheels for HHS and have a single point diamond dresser set up I custom made. You can purchase a nice single point dresser like the Wolverine at any of the woodworking specialty stores.

Regards,
    Jeff