Bel Art Alarm Wristwatch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by ARBEES, May 11, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ARBEES

ARBEES Registered User

Apr 18, 2012
    Has anyone heard of this watch maker I'm drawing a complete blank!

2. Philip Montenigro

Philip Montenigro Registered User

Oct 3, 2019
    I realize this would be considered raising a "necro-thread" however I am very interested in the historicity if time pieces and recently did a search on this obscure and forgotten company the "Bel-Art" wristwatch company. There are few good example of mens wristwatches circulate, more popular are the women pendant necklace ball watches by Bel-Art. That said I have obtained a restored a beautiful 1950s-1960s (by design) Bel-Art Mechanical Alarm Watch. My research of primary sources found that this company was actually based out of the East-Coast, primarily NY NJ and was privately owned by a rather interesting historical figure, a Mr. Kurt Landsberger. His pathway in life included working as a solider in Canada during WWII, becoming an entrepreneur and later a semi-famous writer. His company Bel-Art, it seems would import Swiss parts and re-create the mechanism and casing stateside. Though the details and specifics of this are less well defined in the literature. The few pieces I have examined suggest modifications to Swiss movements. If anyone comes looking for Bel-Art, I hope they find this helpful. Kind Regards, PM.