Beginner looking for details related to a Junghans clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Someone Secrer, Jul 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Someone Secrer

Someone Secrer Registered User

Feb 11, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Hello Everyone!

I am fairly new at this and am seeking information about a clock I have.

It is a Junhans Westminster strike. It is working quite well but I know nothing about it except it was made in Germany.... I am making a huge assumption that is is from about 1920?

Any idea what the metal piece is that is sitting on the bottom? It is not currently attached to anything.

I have seen this name occasionally on the forum. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_20200723_215345019.jpg IMG_20200723_215422689.jpg IMG_20200723_215444662.jpg IMG_20200723_215513160.jpg

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The piece in the bottom is to screw the clock to the wall so that every time the door is opened to wind it up, the clock doesn't swing with the gravity of the situation.

I'd guess more thirties to fifties.

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you provide us with a clear picture of the back of the movement, we may be able to provide you with the information you seek. Otherwise, we can only provide our best guesses.

Regards.

4. svenedin

svenedin Registered User

Jan 28, 2010
    Male
    Doctor of Medicine (Military)
    Surrey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Look 1930's to me. Rather nice! Great how it has kept its instruction label and that bracket in the case.

5. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

Yes, as said above, your clock dates to the 1930's and is commonly termed a box clock. The case style is distinctly Art Deco, characterised by the clean geometric lines and the use of chrome mounts for the lower glass.

Regards.

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the OP asked for the piece of blued tin/steel with the multiple holes in it laying in the bottom of the case.This piece serves to retain the gong rods from swinging,ratteling and breaking during transport of the clock.The gong rods have to be inserted one by one into the holes and then the whole thing should sit on two skrews in the backboard of the case lining up with the two keyhole shaped perforations of that piece.
    HTH
    Burkhard

roughbarked likes this.
  7. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well there you go, I didn't even think of that.

8. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A Junghans' catalogue may have the clock in it but seems late 20s early 30s.

9. Someone Secrer

Someone Secrer Registered User

Feb 11, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Burkhard!

That was indeed what I was referring to.

I was trying very hard to figure out how it would mount on here to match Roughbarked description. That makes a lot of sense.

A very grateful thanks to you all!

I may post a picture of the movement when I get a minute so you can see the back. From what I remember there was not much more than the logo... possibly a serial number.

10. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A holding bracket can be made from a bit of old mainspring with some holes punched through for the screws. Screw it to the back of the clock at the centre of the base and bang a nail in or a screw so that it stops the clock from swinging every time you open the door.