• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Becker Roundhead Dating

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
DSCN3645.jpg DSCN3660.jpg DSCN3656.jpg DSCN3649.jpg DSCN3653.jpg I just brought this one home today, the movement's very dirty and looks like it needs a bushing or two. I haven't done it before, but I guess I need to learn. Anyway, the only number where the serial number is, is 0. I'm hoping to get some info as to when it was made and why a serial number of 0.
Thanks, Mark

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
I just brought this one home today, the movement's very dirty and looks like it needs a bushing or two. I haven't done it before, but I guess I need to learn. Anyway, the only number where the serial number is, is 0. I'm hoping to get some info as to when it was made and why a serial number of 0.
Thanks, Mark
Mark, what appears to be the number "0" is actually the letter "O". That is one of several letter stamps on the back of GB hall clock movements as well as their "Amerikaner" style table and wall clock movements that I have been working to identify. For each of these there is a German horological word that refers to a movement function such as "H" for Hohltreiben (Lantern Pinions), "R" for Reschen (Rack Strike) and others yet to be identified.

If there is a serial number it will be at the bottom center of the back plate right underneath the "P112" pendulum length stamp. If there isn't a serial number, the clock was likely made after 1928 when GB started using date stamps on some movements, in particular their Amerikaner design movements. The date stamps were on the front plates at the right upper corner in most instances.

The label on the case of your clock was used from 1919 to 1932, so it's not much help for dating other than to confirm the clock is post-WWI. I'm not where I can access my GB catalogs at the moment but should be able to identify the model number of your clock, will post that when I have the opportunity.

macaw

NAWCC Member
Jul 23, 2014
Minnesota
Country
Thanks John, No serial number under the P112, and on the front plate is only another O, no date code. I look forward to the getting the model number if you can find it.
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent