• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Becker P42 Silesia Rescue Meets a Six Inch Phone Bell

SanJoseMichael

Dec 5, 2006
Went to an Estate Sale that included many very fine wall clocks priced out of my retired man's reach , but I did find some Gustav Becker Silesia leftovers an overlooked shelf in the garage. Movement, face, pendulum in fine condition.

I conjured up a pendulum leader out of the spare parts n' leftovers box, built a crude test rig, and with much persuasion, oil and minor cleaning it showed signs of life.

But, what to do about the missing coil gong? Box o' stuff has vertical chime bars in blocks, but that won't do. Hey, what about this warehouse telephone bell ringer I've had for too long? Sure, why not.

Next, figure out a test box made of 1/2 Poplar, painted it black and hung it on the garage wall for further testing, adjustment and general admiration. Wife suggests garage wall is a fine place for it.

20221021_175034.jpg
20221023_171209.jpg

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
What's funny is I would do the same thing for fun. I use a spare brass bell all the time for testing movements. When I bought my GB 2 weight wall clock I was tired of gong strikes so I bent the hammer upwards, removed the gong on the movement "seat and put a single rod strike and got it adjusted nicely. But what is weird is that the clock is on the wall right next to my recliner but sounds like it is in the other room when it strikes. It's kinda like a ventriloquist clock throwing it's voice to another room. Chris,

SanJoseMichael

Dec 5, 2006
Who said "horology" had to be so serious? Born in Detroit, I've been tearing down mechanical fascinations since elementary school. If my wife can't find me, I'm in.the garage at the workbench, soldering irons, capacitors, vacuum tubes, drill press, saws, sanders, and how can I mix it up?

Don't ask why, the creative answer is hey, why not? What if!

Reactions: Chris.K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent