Bazeley and Harding spherical clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Jase, Sep 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jase

Jase Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Hi
    I have a Bazeley and Harding spherical clock , it went in for repair and service and has come back lovely however I put the balls on and it started working straight away and dropped a weight every couple of hours , it then dropped two together and seemed to then miss one , it then stopped 5hrs later . After turning the wheel to remove the rest of the weights it started ticking again yesterday it is keeping perfect time , but the wheel hasn’t turned and no weights dropped yet . Can anyone please advise as to why this is ? Thank you in advance any advice would be appreciated as I know nothing about this clock

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    is there a reason you're asking here instead of where it was serviced? and... what was repaired?

3. Jase

Jase Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Hi
    It has had a new escapement and was serviced , the balls were stopping randomly and then it stopped, the repairer was going to come and look at it, but as explained when removing the balls it started to tick again and is keeping perfect time , however the wheel isn’t turning. I have asked on here as I know nothing about this clock and wondered if anyone could advise if I have to wind it up via the wheel or is it just the weights that wind it up , any information about the clock and workings of it would be appreciated thank you

4. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i don't know that clock and am in the middle of something that precludes going out on the web to look for photos (which you should always include, btw! :)).

that said, i don't count a clock as fixed and running until it's run for at least a few weeks and/or winding cycles... to make sure everything is as it should be.

escapements are tricky... and this one sounds a little trickier than most. i think you and/or your repair person need to stare closely as the escapement as it's running to see what might or might not be happening.

note: i just fixed (crossed fingers!) a grandfather clock where the @#$@%#$^ problem turned out to be a part that looked like it was screwed solidly in place but still managed to rock ever-so-slightly... causing the clock to strike incorrectly, or not at all.... the most subtle little thing but enough to cause a major headache.

hopefully someone will come along who knows those clocks, but still think your repair/service person needs to walk you through the care and feeding of your clock, and make sure you understand how it operates.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    See here for a picture: A brass 'Spherical Weight Clock', Harding and Bazeley, - Jul 02, 2014 | Dreweatts Donnington Priory in United Kingdom on LiveAuctioneers

The auction has ended, so the link may be provided here. It seems to me that the balls just wind the clock. If more than one ball falls at a time-or none, there must be something wrong with the way the balls enter the wheel. Maybe the clock is just not standing level? The clock has a platform escapement, therefore running is not affected as long as there is still power on the mainspring.

Uhralt

6. Jase

Jase Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Here are some pictures

54A66086-D5AE-43F9-88C5-E548BC92DD4B.jpeg FAA51257-2FBC-4952-9B70-33CE6166A279.jpeg 5ABB9D19-5188-44F3-A8D6-E8B6760EA3DF.jpeg A28B4127-AAA2-40BC-A0F8-845A0F04183D.jpeg

7. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

You've just got your clock back from being serviced and it clearly isn't working properly. Please don't fiddle with it, take it back to whomever did the service (or get him to come round) and see what is happening..

These are expensive clocks and do not work in the usual way of other clocks. You need to have your service man explain to you carefully how the clock works and also put right anything that it not functioning properly (although, as Uhralt says, it may just be as simple as the clock not being level).

Let us know how you get on.

JTD

8. Jase

Jase Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the advice, I was just hoping to get some understanding and information about the clock and hopefully the repairer can fix , I was just making sure it wasn’t supposed to be behaving in this way
    Thank you

9. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    keep in mind that even if you know how a clock is supposed to work, each one is unique and might have certain characteristics or traits (or even repairs) that require being treated a certain way... and the person who just went through it and serviced it is the best person to advise.

let us know what he says, and post some video of it running once it is again (upload video to youtube and then copy and paste the url into a message here)

10. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, please post video of the running clock! Would very much like to see it.

Regards.

11. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    also wanted to add 1) welcome, 2) cool clock!, and 3) it's incredibly flattering that people seem to think us regulars know everything about every clock. o_O

12. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  14. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    one weight drops every two hours and forty minutes? yes... that seems intuitive. :cool:

15. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    there are no videos of this thing to be found on youtube... i think it's time!

please take some video when you get it running, upload to youtube, and then copy and paste the url into a post here so we can see it in action.

thx!

16. Jase

Jase Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Midlands
    Country Flag:
    We will get a video for you tomorrow and post it