Battle with Jauch 77

Brianonymous

May 3, 2021
Country
Hello everyone. I am a clock noob.
I have my grandfathers grandfather clock, which has a 1974 (I think) Jauch 77 in it. I've never worked on mechanical clocks before, but I am pretty good with my hands and systems in general.

There were two main problems that took me about a month to troubleshoot and resolve, but I think I have them conquered.
I've torn the thing down, bought an ultrasonic cleaner, scrubbed, lubed, etc.
This has been a great experience because I didn't use many references, but I spent hours and hours studying how everything worked piece by piece.
Fascinating machines.

I did manage to get everything back up and running.

Anyways, I have just a few questions. This may be a bit challenging because I don't really know the proper names for things.

1) I am not entirely sure what the best way to properly adjust those 2 hooks on the chime side. The ones that hook the pin on the gear that drives the hammer mechanism. My first attempt was to just loosen the set screw of the adjustable hook and let the hook rest naturally on the pin - then tighten. This was clearly too much and the lever mechanism couldn't raise the hook high enough to unlock it.
So, I just kept playing with an offset height until it seemed to work.
Is there a method to this? or is it really just guess work? I'm not sure I trust that it will always unlock the pin and I have evidence this morning that it might have missed a chime cycle.

2) Bushings. Yeah, I am absolutely sure I could use some, but as long as she runs, I will hold off. But I also feel like that's the super hard approach. Is it possible to just order the two plates and start a-new? I would imagine someone with a CNC machine could bust out those plates pretty rapidly, unless I am missing something in the details of their construction.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Sounds like you're doing quite well for a first attempt.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by, "those two hooks on the chime side".
If you can post a picture pointing to the area of concern it would be a big help to get some advice.
A lot of good people here who can point you in the right direction.

Reactions: Brianonymous

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Probably the auto-sync feature. Everyone has trouble with those.

The main hook needs to unlatch at every quarter. The auto-sync hook only unlatches at the higher lift at the hour. On most, if you adjust the main hook to unlatch + about .2mm that will do it. The auto-sync hook should then work correctly too. There are many different systems for auto-correct.

Plates are rarely replaced as a cure for worn holes, for two reasons: First, they are not available and, if available, there are so many variations chances are slim the replacement plate will match the old one.

Good luck, and welcome to the MB,
Willie X

Brianonymous

May 3, 2021
Country
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! Very much appreciated - and what a cool place you all have here.

I went through my pictures - I took pictures as I went so I could remember how to put it back together again :D .. managed to find one of the thing I was talking about. Probably should have lead with that from the get-go, huh?

Auto sync sounds very much like what this thing would do, so that makes perfect sense. I did at least figure out that the cam and the pin had to match up together, so that's a plus.

hooks.png

The top part is the set screw I was talking about, and the bottom are the two hooks. It seems like the lower of the two hooks is pretty much fixed to the lever's swing height, but that top one with its set screw.. very finicky.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region

The main hook needs to unlatch at every quarter. The auto-sync hook only unlatches at the higher lift at the hour. On most, if you adjust the main hook to unlatch + about .2mm that will do it. The auto-sync hook should then work correctly too. There are many different systems for auto-correct.
Thank you. I always forget how to adjust these things, so I'll print your advice into my clock files.

M Kinsler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller