Battery question

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by bangster, Jan 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is almost certainly the wrong forum for this question, but it's the best I can think of until you guide me elsewhere.

I set out to change the battery in my venerable Timex wristwatch, but when I took the back off, this is the arrangement I found.
    Timex.JPG

It's unlike any battery watch I've seen, and I don' t know how to deal with it to replace the battery

Suggestions?

bangster

2. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, Bangster!

Unconventional and old school, but not really that bad, in my view. You're going to have to get that "strap" (that holds the battery in, with the hole in the middle of it) off. Probably clips under the plastic things at the right and left. Once you get it off, it's a pretty common CR2016 battery, available at a drugstore near you, that you'll be able to pop in.

Then, replace the "strap" and short the two contact pads as the directions say, and you should be back in business. Keep those instructions inside, so you'll know how to do it next time.

How long did that battery last?

Best regards!

Tim Orr

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is written on there. CR 2016. That's a 2cm wide battery that is 1.6mm thick. It is a lithium battery.
    If you get the right size watchmakers screwdriver you can flip one side up from its plastic clip. Take care because the plastic or nylon, can wear or be damaged via mishandling. The sticker needs to go back on top.

Nods to Tim. The battery should have a life of up to ten years. Depends a lot on how many times the light or the alarm are using it too.

4. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for advice you guys. Tim: The battery lasted a very long time. I've never changed it don't know how long I've had the watch, but many years. I've tried prying up the metal thing that holds down the battery, but it refuses to let go. Is more force the answer? Where should I be prying at it? In the four attachment points? Out in the body of the thing?
    What's a contact pad look like?:=

5. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clip is on the right in your image. You simply need to lift the metal out and over the white nylon until it pops up of its own accord. Slide the battery in, negative side down. press the metal back over the nylon latch without damaging the nylon. The contact pads look to be the two big insulators with contacts in centre at top of image. Have never seen that style before. Usually the instruction is to short between AC and the battery cover with tweezers.

6. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, Bang!

Roughbarked is right. A sharper, more close-up photo might help too. The battery hold-down clip/strip appears to attach to the white plastic/nylon piece on the left and right sides or "ends" of the hold-down strip. My guess is that both sides are identical, but maybe not. So, you'd go to the right or left end and see if you can lift the end-loop of the hold-down off the plastic part, probably using a small screwdriver to lift it off.

More force, by the way, is not the way to go. But you probably know that.

It actually looks as though there's a cut in the white plastic/nylon thing, at least on the right, where you could slip a small screwdriver in and use it to pry the hold-down end loop off the end of the plastic/nylon part. After you get the new battery in, my best guess is that you would hook the hold-down clip under say, the left side of the white plastic, then press down on the right side to make it go over the right side of the plastic piece. I'm betting the clip will snap into place of its own accord as you press it over the end of the plastic part.

The contact pads, as Roughbarked says, are the coppery lines in those two blackish disks near the top of the picture. They are what you'd short with the tweezers or a piece of wire to reset the computer.

Good luck! Once you've done this a few thousand times, you'll be able to do it blindfolded! Of course, if the new battery lasts as long as the old one, you may never have to do it again!

Best regards!

Tim

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks gents; I'll give it a shot. May be back.:rolleyes:

8. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bangs this may help with the clips.\

David

Randy Beamer likes this.
  9. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am aware that it is a lithium battery which is easier to grab with fingers than a pair of tweezers but one should attempt not to handle watch batteries with the fingers unless the fingers are isolated by gloves. By the same token one should not grasp the battery with metal tweezers due to the possibility of touching both poles and thus draining the battery.
    One should also never believe anyone who uses the word waterproof.

10. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks David for the really helpful video.
    Thanks RB for warning. Why gloves?

11. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You will drain the battery if you touch both poles.