Basic winding/setting Instuctions.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Cowboy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cowboy

Cowboy Guest

I know this is a pretty general question but, I am new to pocket watch ownership. How often should I wind my 1873 Elgin keywind/key set pocket watch(it will be used on a daily basis) and is there a proper procedure i.e. set frist, wind first? Any tips and advise would be great. I have waited for 40 years to have such a fine timepiece and want to make sure it will last another century.

Thanx,

Woody

2. Cowboy

Cowboy Guest

I know this is a pretty general question but, I am new to pocket watch ownership. How often should I wind my 1873 Elgin keywind/key set pocket watch(it will be used on a daily basis) and is there a proper procedure i.e. set frist, wind first? Any tips and advise would be great. I have waited for 40 years to have such a fine timepiece and want to make sure it will last another century.

Thanx,

Woody

3. LarFure

LarFure Registered User

Nov 30, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cowboy,
    Here are some instructions for the care of your vintage pocket watch. It doesn't give winding and setting instructions for a key wind/set,but that should be self evident.
    http://www.knology.net/~ksinger/carefeed.txt

4. Bill B

Bill B Registered User

Aug 12, 2004
    Apache Jct AZ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I carry Civil War era watches most days. I wind in morning and set after winding. I only set hands forward never backwards. I was told to do this by an old timer, don't know why he said this but I do it anyway. I can't say enough about having your watch serviced before you run it, just one day of running dry can do major damage to piviots. Make sure your key fits properly so as to not round off winding arbor. When you set hands make sure yo keep key at 90 degrees so as to not push minute hand down so it will hang on hour hand. Keep your watch on a chain attached to clothing as they do not take droping well.

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 1871 Elgin Almanac has this to say about the care of the watch...

121.jpg

- Greg

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Registered User

Mar 24, 2004
    Greetings, Greg, and All,

Greg, what an outstanding bit of info you have shared with us!! Many thanks!! I, too, carry an Elgin PW, most everyday, and mine is from 1871. It keeps outstanding time, and the only trouble I've had with it, after carrying it for several years, was a broken mainspring, and the need for cleaning and oiling. Mine is the H.Z. Culver model, and I am extremely impressed by it's timekeeping abilities, especially after 135 years! Thanks, again, for the great information!

Cowboy: Enjoy your Elgin, and take pride in carrying and using it, everyday!! But, do make sure you get it cleaned and oiled before using it too much. It will keep it's best time, and will last much longer, if you do so. Have fun with our Elgin, take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

7. Cowboy

Cowboy Guest

Thank you all so much! This was a long wanted xmas present. The watch was purchased from a repututable Collector and NAWCC member. It has been cleaned and serviced and is Serial #251612 RYR 1874 55* 18s hfg1ks 7j dial marked "Elgin Nat'l Watch Co".Once again thank you all for the warm welcome and the great info.

Woody

8. Kim G.

Kim G. Registered User

Sep 2, 2008
    I am the proud MOM of a 26 month old Eclectus Parr
    Covina Hills, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Thursday
    October 16, 2008

Greg Davis-
    This is an old thread, but thanks, that is a very interesting read!

Kim Gerard
    onlinedeals-2008