Basic Physics

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by John Nagle, Feb 6, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

Basic Physics, A Self teaching Guide - Karl F. Kuhn, John Wiley & Sons, 1979

Those who find the pendulum tough to understand and have been overwhelmed by The Science of Clocks and Watches and The Horological Science Newsletter might want to give this book a try.
    It is written with the concept of self education in mind. While it covers over 23 different areas of Physics, the chapters of most interest to people on this mb will be the first 4. Forces and Motion, Newton's Laws of Motion, The Conservation of Momentum and Energy, and Gravity.
    From there you can proceed to the chapter on Wave Motion that has some solid info on pendulums.
    Some other areas that help enhance the understanding of some things connected to clocks are chapters on Sound, Magnetism and Magnetic Effects, etc.
    There are review questions in each chapter and the answers are also given. By the time you are finished with this book you will have a good understanding of the basics of some of the science aspects of our clocks.
    It's self teaching format and easy to read approach will have the reader wearing a pocket protector in no time!

2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For those who want to study the physics of the oendulum in abit more depth may I suggest:

# Title: Pendulum [The...]
    SubTitle: Scientific Historical, Philosophical & Educational Perspectives
    # Author: Michael R. Matthews, Colin F. Gauld, Arthur Stinner
    # Publisher: Springer
    Keywords: pendulum physics
    Other Keywords: teaching IPP education philosophy science
    ISBN: 1 4020 3525 x
    Language: English
    Notes: A massive scholarly publication examining how pendulum science has influenced science , history , philosophy and education, result of the International Pendulum Project IPP, many authors
    Edition: 2005, 1st edition -- Copyright: 2005
    Kind: Book
    Type: Timekeeper (general)
    Geographic area: Not Geographic
    Topic: PendulumScience
    Organization: NA/other
    Pages: 542 -- Height in cm: 24
    Print Status: 1 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
    Entered By: FMM
    BHM ID: 7417

Fortunat

3. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

How about These!
    Accurate Clock Pendulums - Robert James Matthys

Christiaan Huygen's The Pendulum Clock or Geometrical Demonstrations
    Concerning The Motion of Pendula as Applied To Clocks - Christiann Huygens & Richard Blackwell

On Isochronism - Antiquarian Society Monograph Edourd Phillips

Torsion Pendulum Measurements On Viscoelastic Materials During Vaccuum Exposure - Thomas Ward; I wonder how many of the 400 day clock group have seen this one!

4. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    For naive novitiates who wish to be initiated into the mysterious cult of the pocket protector, I recommend the trilogy on basic physics by, of all writers. Isaac Asimov. His writing abilities trounce all other textbook scribblers. These are the books which can be credited (or blamed! ) for starting me down the path to nerddom.
    Huygens should preferrably be read, I think, after one has studied geometry, but before one's mind is confused by trigonometry, or even analytic geometry. The path to enlightenment followed by modern physics has diverged from the purely geometric taken by Huygens (and some other, slightly later scientists); for that reason, many modern readers find him dificult going. For most of us, it's a little like reading Beowulf: there's a distant memory of this language, but it's been clouded by subsequent incursions of Latin, French, and computerese.

5. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

I agree Bill, I have most of his Sci Fi but too have read many of his other books. I always thought it amazing that he had such a grasp on any subject that he could write and explain it for anyone.

6. Bill Ward

Bill Ward Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2003
    EE (spec. acoustics) now medicine
    USA
    The Thomas Ward work does not appear in the Winnebago NAWCC catalog. Is it a book? Any more information on it? Thanks!

7. John Nagle

John Nagle Guest

It was a nasa contract company report.