Basic horological resources for newcomers?

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by CEGaudet, Jan 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CEGaudet

CEGaudet Registered User

Jan 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello,

I recently undertook the task of researching a pocket watch that's been in my family since the late 1800s and have really enjoyed reading the incredibly informed responses to queries on this forum. However, for someone like me who doesn't have the vocabulary of an horologist, I sometimes have a hard time following. Are there any basic resources - on the web or otherwise - for newcomers like myself who want to know the difference between sponsor marks, and assay office marks or how German and English styles differ, and other things like that to use as a reference when scanning posts?

Many thanks,
    Connor

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are two out of print books that may be helpful that you might find on bookfinder.com. They are:

"Questions and Answers of and for the Clockmaking Profession" by Joseph G. Baier, and "The Clock & Watch Pronunciary" by Malcolm C. Gerschler.

Good luck!
    Frank

CEGaudet likes this.
  3. CEGaudet

CEGaudet Registered User

Jan 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the suggestions Frank! And thanks for introducing me to BookFinder! How have I never heard of this site? I collect rare and antique books and spend a lot of time duplicating searches across all these sites! I'm a little embarrassed I didn't know about it but thrilled to find out! Thanks!

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Donald De Carle's Watch and Clock Encyclopedia would help you with horologic terms and their meanings.

5. CEGaudet

CEGaudet Registered User

Jan 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Terrific, thank you Harold! That looks like just the thing!

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Connor,

For UK watch case makers, and our hallmarking system generally, the standard reference book is Philip Priestley's 'Watch Case Makers of England 1720-1920', which is NAWCC Bulletin Supplement 20, Spring 1994. For an online understanding of hallmarks, visit David Boettcher's website here, which has a lot of other good stuff as well as hallmarks. There are also a number of books on the subject, including a very handy pocket-sized guide called Bradbury's Book of Hallmarks available from the Sheffield Assay Office.

Regards,

Graham

7. CEGaudet

CEGaudet Registered User

Jan 18, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks very much Graham, this is a great site! I look forward to seeing if I can decipher the faint markings on my watch.
    Best,
    Connor