Basic Clock Books for a Newbie

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Gene Klodzen, Nov 13, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gene Klodzen

Gene Klodzen Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Retired
    Springfield, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Jim,

There are many good books, but let me tell you of two that I like, are very basic, clearly written, and have lots of illustrations:

Number one is The Clock Repair Primer, by Phillip Balcomb, and number two is it's sequel, The Clock Repair First Reader.

Read the Primer first. You'll refer to both of them frequently as you learn more and more.

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    There's lots of good books avaiable at modest cost to help a beginner get up-to-speed in any one of the many areas of Horology. One of my first and still a valuable reference is Goodrich's "The Modern Clock." Although first published around 1900, it's still being reprinted. Another is one of the many titles and revisions of books authored by Britten.
    It all depends on your specific interest whether it be collecting, repairing, research, or selling.
    You should have a look at another Forum on this Bulletin Board, "Horological Books." There you'll get some idea of the wide variance in preferences for favorites.

3. Dick Feldman

Dick Feldman Registered User

Sep 1, 2000
    Colorado, usa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim,
    I have sent you a list of clock books as an attachment to an email. The list contains some of my favorites.
    Dick

4. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The best advice I could give any "newbie" would be to join the NAWCC. I wished I had known about it earlier in my collecting days. Invaluable publications and chance to join local chapter, great ways to learn.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863