Barrel pincher blues

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by RJSoftware, Jul 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RJSoftware

RJSoftware Registered User

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 RJSoftware, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Hello all.

The barrel tool that punches a new prong in mainspring barrels seems a bit destructive.

I have practiced and have it as adequate as I think it can be, but I don't like the results and hesitate to use it because it's easy to miss the correct spot/depth.

Was thinking that it might be better to use it to punch a small flat brass piece, put a prong on that, and then solder that to inside of barrel. So to leave the barrel nicer.

Also wondering if you guys have to do a little filing of the new prong so the spring will fit underneath.

Opinions/advice appreciated.

RJ

2. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nobody know...?

3. darrahg

darrahg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree, that tool is destructive and would rather drill and shape a hole at an angle and then insert a pin and solder it. The pin is shaped for the interior prior to soldering and the portion outside of the barrel is removed after attachment. Serious cleaning is then done to remove all traces of flux.

4. RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
    Male
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You would be in agreement with Fried and I think De Carle too. Problem I have with that is that I never seem to have a good brass pin the correct size. But also I am better with the soldering since I bought myself some new flux. I was using an old flux that was no good. New flux made all the difference in the world...!!!

Have you ever had problems with the strength of the pin or the soldering job causing issues?

Also have you used the hole punch for the mainsprings? I have ended up using them on hairsprings that did not have hole ends to make due. Or on the winding arbor side. They have worked but seems questionable.

RJ

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi RJ,

I agree about those horrible punches, far better to do what darrahg suggests, or even make a steel hook which screws in and is then riveted and cleaned up; no need for solder. The same goes for making the hole in a mainspring, I use a pointed punch to make a dimple and then file the top off to make the initial hole before using a round escapement file to bring it to the right size. This imposes far less stress on the steel.

Regards,

Graham