Pocket: Barraud Wine Office Court

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Tom McIntyre, Oct 19, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Tom McIntyre, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    This pocket chronometer will be part of my story on Barraud and Lunds. It is interesting that it is signed Wine Office Court. The friend I purchased it from was convinced that it had been made for or by Francis Gabriel Barraud. It is easy to be confused about the early Barraud watches because none of them were members of the Clockmakers Company before 1896.

Was it legal to sign your name to a watch if you had premises in the City of London and were not a member of the appropriate guild?

Francis Gabriel was 63 years old when this watch was made and Paul Philip was 43. I actually think the watch was most likely made by Earnshaw but I do not have detailed pictures between the plates.
    Barraud3009m.jpg

2. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice watch Tom, is it a spring detent escapement?
    Paul

3. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a typical Earnshaw detent but there is no temperature compensation. I will eventually get some better inside pictures.

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom,

I think you could put whatever you liked in the signature, as long as you weren't attempting to deceive with another maker's name. By this time the Clockmaker's Company had fewer powers to control the trade than before. Case hallmarks of course were a different matter, being based in law.

A spring detent and a flat hairspring do hint at Earnshaw, although the plain balance and the fact that it isn't free-sprung seem unusual to me.

Regards,

Graham

5. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the comments. I think there must have been a real or perceived market for pocket watches with detent escapements and no particular requirement for performance beyond a cylinder or duplex. The lever was not yet available in the late 18th century. I own another example signed by Brockbanks that has Peto's cross detent escapement and an even less impressive balance with regulator. This one was made for the American market in an American gold case (at least I believe it is American).

MovementBack.jpg