Barraud, London 8736

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Today a watch arrived here, and I have to admit I was worried that all my nightmares were inside the box delivered by our post lady.

It all started on seeing it at auction, and I remember quite clearly my reaction was leave it well alone, you don't want that coin silver case that is hanging onto a very nice Barraud watch, the case looked totally out of place, and I had also seen what should have been a Duplex, had been converted to STR. Plus the watch was in Turkey, false impressions of course. (He had 100% and had been a member for years) Anyway, I managed to ignore it. (wrong) I kept going back, it was the hands you see, in my opinion, they were original, and I could not get over how perfect the dial was. (Could it be so good after 200 years, don´t buy it) So I offered him a price, and he accepted it. I was even more worried now. That was on Thursday or Friday last, and here it was, he´s got to be a member of the mafia I thought. It lay on my desk a while, and it did not move, and it did not smell, so risked it and found it was well packed, and there was something quite heavy in all that bubble wrap.

Well, Still sweating, I found something I had never seen before, a coin Siver case. I had seen them on this board, of course, dull little grey things, and here was the wonderful heavy shiny case smiling at me. Things were getting better, it also has gold hinges, plus no hallmarks, so no research on the case:)."WARRANTED COIN SILVER" I then saw the number on the case 8736 MMMmm, had Barraud made the case too?? You can tell my nerves were on edge, I then saw the winding button So the chap who had taken so much effort to build this case around the Barraud had put the number there too.

I then pressed the winding button, and all my worries disappeared. (See below)

IMG_9114[1].JPG IMG_9113[1].JPG IMG_9107[1].JPG
178 Gr. Full Hunter case

IMG_9104[1].JPG IMG_9105[1].JPG
Hands in gold in the latest fashion of the early 19th century, and perfect dial.

IMG_9108[1].JPG IMG_9109[1].JPG

Barraud´s watch movement, it still as issues but my watchmaker can sort them if we all get through the second wave. to end this bit, I am very pleased with this buy, but I will try not to be so impulsive in future.

More next year when the watch is running correctly. I am also converted to coin silver cases

Allan

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Movement.png IMG_2149.jpg movement.jpg 5648%20mvt.jpg IMG_0651.jpg 7281%20mvt.jpg 7816%20mvt.jpg Movement.jpg
Alan, I was looking at that watch and decided to look at what movements David Penney had on his site. I decided to buy David's and spend some time trying to make some sense of these early movements. Here are the pictures that I currently have on my AWCo site all together to try to see what patterns, if any, might exist.

Last edited:

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Nice watch... looks like a Duplex or cylinder escapement, right?
I would say it was a Duplex but it is now an STR. I think the watch as had a rough time over at least the last hundred years, gold case ripped out, then the conversion, and then the re-build. I am just pleased it survived.

Allan.

Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member
Feb 9, 2013
Germany
Country
Region
Alan, I was looking at that watch and decided to look at what movements David Penney had on his site. I decided to buy David's and spend some time trying to make some sense of these early movements. Here are the pictures that I currently have on my AWCo site all together to try to see what patterns, if any, might exist.
Thanks, Tom, I intend to pay more attention to these watches when working on the new Barraud numbers file. In Jagger, the supplement 8860 was in a gold pair case HM 1815. So all made before P.P Barrauds death in 1820.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcbarnard70
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool