• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Barr Pendulum Question

George Nelson

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Oct 5, 2007
Tennessee
Country
Region
Hi, All!

I recently acquired a Barr battery clock that is in fairly good condition (picture of a similar one below). Once I cleaned out the battery box, installed new battery terminals and re-routed the wires properly, I was thrilled to find that it started right up. However, after a couple of days running, the clock started acting up a bit. It now seems to impulse the pendulum 5,6 or 7 times in a row. The clock still runs, but I know that this is not proper operation. All of the electrical connections are tight (I soldered them to be sure). In comparing this clock with a Poole clock in my collection, it seems that the cylindrical pendulum on the Barr is considerably lighter than is the pancake pendulum on the Barr. Could this be my problem? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help! George Nelson

Attachments

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Hi George,
I would suggest that if you can swap the pendulum assembly from your Poole to your Barr for a test to see if this corrects your problem. My Barr cylindrical pendulum is fairly heavy and compares to a Poole pendulum on a clock I repaired several years ago.

I do agree with Hans also, that if you didn't at least check out the movement before running, you may have several issues including the impulse roller / gravity arm. These movements tend to get grime and gummed up in the oddest places.

Cheers,
James

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Your Barr/Poole battery clock's behavior suggests that the gravity arm is 1. failing to latch or reset occasionally to the resting or "latched-up" position or 2. re-tripping on account of severe vibration from the latch mechanics. There are several causes including wear and weak dry cells.

All Hipp Toggle principle clocks experience "false" tripping occasionally.....that's the nature of the beast and is made worse by any lack of complete freedom of the toggle.

The recommended Bulletin article is excellent. A good working knowledge of the Poole/Barr clock is essential to ownership.

The Poole and Barr battery clocks are somewhat sensitive to external vibration in addition to their need for being level and plumb.

George Nelson

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Oct 5, 2007
Tennessee
Country
Region
Many thanks for everyone's help and input with my Barr clock. I've located the NAWCC article, and will get to work right away inspecting the latching mechanism. I'll also switch out pendulums to see if that could be the problem. As usual, I appreciate everyone's time in assisting me! George Nelson