• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Barr Clock Troubles

TheTickTockDoc

NAWCC Member
Oct 9, 2009
New Port Richey, Florida USA
Country
Hello Friends:

I'm not going to kid ya....I have like no experience with these Barr clocks. Seems weird, but after 47 years, this is the first in my shop. I traced a lot of threads here about the clocks...and see that there are some good service articles somewhere in the archives...but honestly, I'm just not going to spend a lot of time on it as it is in line with the hundreds of clocks I regularly service. So, just a couple of questions......how do I determine it's age? You will note that someone taped a broken piece to the clock.....any ideas? I've also attached a short video here....
I know that the gravity bar? is supposed to stay up and at some point move down and up to keep the pendulum momentum going. You will also note the solder on the small drive wheel? This one may not be worth the time...was kind of hoping someone could give me a few simple instructions to help it run correctly....or abandon it. Thanks in advance...I know that I'm asking a lot. Best regards, Rich

IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I see mainly a lot of corrosion going on, probably a battery (or more than one) has leaked. Did you check all the contacts (including inside the battery holder) to be in good shape and free of corrosion? For the clock to keep running it must also be perfectly level.

Uhralt

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
The clock you have is an electric clock and maybe this post should be moved to the Electric clock section.
The following link is to a lengthy discussion of the Barr/Poole clock companies.
Poole Electric Ithaca, NY Help Please
As I understand it, the clock pendulum runs till amplitude decreases to a set point. At that point, a mechanism “kicks” the pendulum giving it more amplitude. As the swing decreases to that set level, the mechanism again pushes the pendulum.
It has been a long time since I have seen one and honestly have forgotten most that I knew about them. I remember, however, that most that came across my bench had been tampered with by someone who did not understand the operation. Those previous “adjustments” caused many problems in repair.
This video shows the operation of a Barr Clock. Be patient, it may not actuate the pendulum till about a third of the way through.
Best of luck,
Dick

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I notice the suspension spring is quite loose, and may be a contributing factor. However, I suspect the biggest issue is that the coil is not impulsing properly to keep the clock in motion.
I'll move this over to electric clocks to see if they can provide more input.