• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Barr clock help pls

cvcman

Dec 15, 2011
I have a 3 battery Barr clock...Two questions;

1) It swings about 20 swings before it "resets" is this normal ?? ( keeps good time )

2) Again I dont know the proper name for it but the two spring steel looking contact arms ...each has like a small bead on it that actually makes the contact...The one bead is almost gone all together...is this an issue and if so how hard would it be to replace...it looks like its just pressed into the spring steel :???:

Thank you

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
You're fortunate that the Barr clock still works. Some will swing 25 or more strokes before re-setting.

You can replace the contact with a bit of coin silver or silver wire either using sweat solder technique or punch-out the old coupon and rivet in a new silver contact made of silver.

Sometimes a handful of quality contacts can be salvaged from a good quality relay....not automotive but good communications type relay.

cvcman

Dec 15, 2011
Can you offer help with how to best get the old one out and how to make a new one or purchase a new one pls ? By silver wire do you mean like silver solder ?? Also is it hard to remove from the clock ?? Im arookie so any hand holding is appreciated

cvcman

Dec 15, 2011
I assume I cant do this while the pat is inthe clock, correct ?? And it looks like one screw holds the assy inbut it has a wire attached...Is there and easy way to press the old contact out and then I could silver solder some on it andpress back in?? If so what is the proper way and correct setting for the contacts with the screws :???: Thank you

cvcman

Dec 15, 2011
Humm ok..does anyone know anybody near Syracus or Auburn NY that is good at repairing these,,,it keeps stopping every day or two now but I dont think its the contacts because it stops in the open position....or is there a better place to post this or different forum ??
There used to be a guy on here named Greg that was in Genoa NY does anyone know how I cn contact him pls >>>

cvcman

Dec 15, 2011
where do i get coin silver ? what were they originally ? He also said siler wire isnt that silver solder wire ?

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Silver solder is alloyed to melt at a reasonably lower
temperature than purer silver. That is why is is called
solder.
I've not had the need for coin silver but I'm sure a reasonable
search on the web will turn something up.
Actually, ignition points ( although not silver ) hold up
quite well as replacement points.
Silver wire is not solder unless it is sold as solder.
Remember what I said, silver solder is alloyed to melt at
a lower temperature than silver. If it weren't, it would be
useless to solder silver.
Tinker Dwight

cvcman

Dec 15, 2011
Have you actually made new contacts for these clocks from ignition points :???: And if so can you offer some help or advise as to how you did this ? I notice the upper contacts and lower contacts seem totally different both in material and shape...if you use ignition points for the upper contacts then they will no longer have the bead style rather they will be flat like the lower ones,correct ?

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Have you actually made new contacts for these clocks from ignition points :???: And if so can you offer some help or advise as to how you did this ? I notice the upper contacts and lower contacts seem totally different both in material and shape...if you use ignition points for the upper contacts then they will no longer have the bead style rather they will be flat like the lower ones,correct ?
Never worked on a Barr clock so I can't help you there.
You may need to be creative.
Tinker Dwight

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dennis waske
Encyclopedia Pages