• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Barr & Poole Barr Battery Clocks

C

Chris-langston

Over the weekend I bought a Barr Battery clock. Nice cyclender pend. No battery damage. But the clock acts like it's out of beat. The movement acts like it's out of "time" (no phun intented) When the electrical part impulses the pend is not where it should be to recive that impulse to keep running. Can anyone tell me (or have diagrams) on how these clocks work and how to adjust them to run correctly?

C

Chris-langston

Over the weekend I bought a Barr Battery clock. Nice cyclender pend. No battery damage. But the clock acts like it's out of beat. The movement acts like it's out of "time" (no phun intented) When the electrical part impulses the pend is not where it should be to recive that impulse to keep running. Can anyone tell me (or have diagrams) on how these clocks work and how to adjust them to run correctly?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
An NAWCC Bulletin Publication of a few years past has an excellent and very thorough illustrated article centered on repairing and maintaining the Poole/Barr battery clock.

Your observation, "The movement acts like it's out of "time" (no phun intented) When the electrical part impulses the pend is not where it should be to recive that impulse to keep running" is common but mistaken observation of those who are not familiar with the Poole/Barr clock.

The pendulum is NOT impulsed electrically. The pendulum of the Poole/Barr clock is impulsed by the gravity arm by the same principle as the Synchronome, Gent and other precision regulator clocks. One those, the pendulum is long, the period is long and the operation is easily observed but the Poole/Barr pendulum is short and quick and it is easy to misunderstand that the electrical impulse only serves to restore or re-latch the gravity arm.

I believe that the Bulletin article on the Poole/Barr clock will help you understand and maintain your clock.

C

Chris-langston

Thank you, I am not a member of the National but my dad is. Do you remember what bulleten number or month that was? Also, What latches that Gravity arm up? is it a ratchet inside the movement? or something outside on the back plate?

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I should have anticipated and supplied the Bulletin date and number. Sowers wrote the article published in Bulletin number 328. (October, 2000) It is the most complete and well written and illustrated articles about the Poole/Barr pendulum clock.

I think if your father, using his member number, mails a note to the NAWCC library, they will reply with a photocopy of the article to him at no cost.

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
Chris, Could you post a photo of the back of your movement. If not, I will try to post one later today. And will try to walk you through it. They are fairly easy once you get the "hang"(also no pun intended) of it. Also, if you provide your e-mail address, I will send you some schematics if you would like.

Greg

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
The first thing you need to do is to make sure that the batteries are fresh, or (while working on theses clocks I use) a Universal adapter(as for radios, etc) set at the 3 volts(this will give you 4.5v).

Check the continueity of the coil/wires.

Have you cleaned the movement? These movements must be clean. The manufacture states "never use oil". I do not use oil, however there are some people that would disagree with this.

Greg

C

Chris-langston

I have cleaned it. And that is when I noticed What I think is the problem. The two parts that "lock" together so the Gravity arm will be lifted up. then they unlock to drop it. One has been broken where the spring tensioner hooks on and someone soiderd a stiffer spring on it, to counter act the stiffer spring on the one side he put a stiffer spring on the other side. Which now makes it so stiff the pend can't unlock it to drop. I think I need those two parts and two springs. And I bet your going to say that they are really tough to find. :)

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I'm having trouble sending to your e-mail. I will try to upload the documents here. Although, predominatly referencing Poole Clocks...the part names and theory is the same.

As for the spring, I am picturing the rocker spring located in the front of the movement. If this is the case...I've used as a replacement..a 30hr mainspring the same size...with sucess

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
Here a photo of one that I'm working on...

re: "rocker" springs...I have used a single spring for this with success.

Greg

C

Chris-langston

Here is a pic of my movement showing the parts I need. I know it is a little blurry sorry.

glr1109

Jun 2, 2002
Genoa, NY
Country
Region
I taken the liberty of labeling some of the parts onto this photo of the rear of the movement.

Greg

starkeef

Oct 13, 2015
Studio City, CA
Country
Hi, I have a Barr Poole battery clock but there was no pendulum when I bought it. It is the cylinder type. Was wondering if anyone knows where I could get one. I have searched eBay for years but to no avail. An original would be great but a reproduction is fine. Anyone have any leads? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide me.

starkeef

Oct 13, 2015
Studio City, CA
Country
I bought a Barr-Poole clock many years ago but it didn't have a pendulum, now I'm looking for one. I was wondering if there is a way I can tell if it takes the cylinder pendulum or the round disk pendulum? And is there any place that makes reproduction pendulums?

Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
Oakland, CA
Country
Region
You might want to check Timesavers - I know they used to carry a replacement Barr pendulum.

gloos

NAWCC Member
Nov 19, 2002
I will try to send a picture of my Barr Clock, it has a cylindrical pendulum. I have seen a home made reproduction which was quite well done. Barr Clock Pendulum.JPG Barr Clock.JPG