• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Barr & Poole Barr battery clock running fast

cvcman

Dec 15, 2011
My Barr clock is running about 5 minutes fast and the pendelum is all the way don as far as it will go :???: Any ideas
Thx

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
I've moved it to the Electric Clocks forum for better exposure. Can you show us a pic of what you've got?

bangster

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
There are many things that can cause a clock to run fast. Usually it means the clock needs to be stripped down, cleaned, bushed if needed, then oiled. Could be skipping teeth on the escapement.

Ray Fanchamps

Deceased
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
LLareggub
Country
Region
Hi cvcman and welcome to the NAWCC Message Board.
The Barr and Poole are a little bit of a different animal when it comes to symptoms of needing an "overhaul".
The very unique escape mechanism is really quite solid in operation and not at all prone to skipping or pushing "double time" such as a Bulle might.

How often the pendulum impulse cycles and how wide an arc it travels after impulse would also have some impact.

I would be looking at the pendulum and suspension spring. A picture and some history...new acquisition.....or you just did something and now it's fast....or ?