Barometer purchase

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bruce Barnes, Nov 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi, I trust everyone had a great Thanksgiving and is looking forward to Christmas..............\I recently purchased this huge barometer, 14.25 in diameter and 4.50 in in depth,the finish is either nickel or silver plated,not sure yet.
    I know there are a lot of clock collectors on the board that are also interested in ancillary items such as this.
    If anyone has a clue to its end use and how to rejoin the mercury in the thermometer your advice would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Bruce 2222-1.jpg 2222.jpg

2. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    Deceased

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    I've never seen a barometer quite like it, love the fancy bezel. What a handsome thing! It has the look of silver plate to me, but I'm just guessing

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A lovely barometer, it is most likely silver plate but it should have some sort of mark on it.

Sir John Bennett Ltd was formed in 1889 and I understand the business closed in the late 1920s and the shop in Cheapside was sold with the facade decorations ending up in the Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. The name may have been used subsequently by others.

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Gentlemen for your thoughts and observations,I shall look for a hallmark or other bits of info. I haven't opened yet so there may be info inside of the case,it weighs a "ton" !! I am under the impression that Sir John was a high end shop and catered to the more affluent.
    Regards,
    Bruce

5. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Hi. just a quick update......I know some of you collect old barometers and as I said before just couldn't pass this one up. I rejoined the mercury in the thermometer and it is very accurate and serviced the barometer and it also is very accurate. Cleaned the case, bezel and then polished them and they results were quite good.
    Here are the "after" photo's.
    Regards, Bruce

Bennett 4.jpg Bennett #5.jpg

6. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very pretty instrument. If you needed a curved thermometer or even a straight one, is anyone doing such custom work today ?

7. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Sadly the only way to get a curved thermometer,especially one with mercury, is from a surveyed instrument and trust me I have looked for a long time so if you have one treat it with "kid gloves".
    Bruce