Barnes and Bartholomew just stopped working

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by abe, May 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. abe

abe Registered User

Jan 8, 2009
    retired soccer coach and History teacher
    Central PA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a Barnes and Bartholomew wooden works 30 hour clock. Last fall it was repaired by a member of NAWCC that lives near me. It ran well and kept good time. Then it stopped. About a month later I had to move the clock and as it sat on my dining room table it started ticking! I put it back in place and it ran great for about 2 months. Last night I noticed it wasn't running.

I know I have not given you much to go on but what could be causing this? Temperature or humidity changes? Anything simple I should try?

IMG_20181025_092352582.jpg

2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The first and one of the easiest things to check is whether the clock is in beat, especially if it has been moved. The tick-tock should sound evenly spaced. See Beat Setting 101

Let us know if that helps.

Tom

3. abe

abe Registered User

Jan 8, 2009
    Central PA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Two months ago it started running after I moved it. It hadn't been moved since then and stopped running this week.

I should add that that when I push the pendulum it does not tick at all. This is the same scenario as before.

4. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps you could provide some pictures of the movement. This might help the folks who know these clocks
    Jim

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is an indication of several possibilities.
    1. No power to the escape wheel.
    2. A broken or misaligned part.
    3. Something deeper.

If you can remove the hands and dial and take some photos, we can probably narrow it down.

Tom

6. abe

abe Registered User

Jan 8, 2009
    Central PA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will do! I don't know if I can do it son as we got Memorial Day and next week I'm very busy.

The funny thing is, this stoppage with no ticking when I move the pendulum is the same thing that happened this fall but then started working later as I stated above.

Thank you.

7. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    First try a bit of oil on the escape wheel brass pivot hole. Make sure the weight pulleys turn free. There are a dozen or so other possibilities including damaged wheel teeth.

RC

8. abe

abe Registered User

Jan 8, 2009
    Central PA, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update: I have been too busy to take the hands off and the dial off . I had a few minutes Sunday morning as I was waiting for my wife to get ready to travel to my sister's house. I picked up the clock and set it on the dining room table hoping that it would begin running as it had before. I moved the pendulum. But nothing. No tick, no tock.

So I put the clock back on the dry sink where it belongs. I did not move the pendulum. About 15 minutes later I'm in the kitchen and I here a clock chime. I look to see if it is my Thomas Lister tall case clock. It's not. I look in the dining room and lo and behold! The wooden works clock is running! I set the time and we leave to visit my sister and brother 3 hours away. We get home at 10:45 and the old Barnes and Bartholomew is running and keeping accurate time! This morning I wind it and tonight at 11:00 it is still keeping time!

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but what is causing this?

9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hard to say, but I wouldn't rule out Gremlins.

Also as a general Clocks 101 rule, you should never move a clock with the weights and pendulum attached.

Tom