Barkus Burnishers?

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Dr. Jon, May 28, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought I was bidding on an odd set of Barkus gravers but it looks like these are a set of burnishers.

There are two that look like steel three that look like bell metal and one sapphire.

The ones i think are bell metal look a bit yellow and aqare not attracted to a magnet although the steel ones are mildly attracted.

None of the tools are marked in any way but the fit nicely into the Barkus plastic case and they seem wellmade.

I can't find any reference to them in the Barkus catalog at the end of ther book on using the graver although there are blurbs for the escapement and balance staff teaching models.

The pictures show it.

box.jpg open-box.jpg closed.jpg steel-side.jpg Sapphire.jpg
    sapphire_tip.jpg end_better.jpg

Did Barkus make these?

Are the "steel" ones steel or carbide?

Has anyone used them and if so how are they?

Thanks in advance for the information

2. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    Maybe they are carbide and not steel. Carbide is mildly attracted to a magnet.

Besides, seeing as they also made carbide (or what they called carboloy) gravers, it seems a strong chance that they also made these burnishers from the same material.

You could try to scratch one of them with a file. You surely don't want to see if they are brittle.

Sharukh

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I doubt that a file would scratch a regular steel burnisher. I will try the magnet again comparing a known steel one with the ones I have. The Barkus carbolloy gravers I have are all marked and these have no such markings. There is no place I an htink of ot place such a marking so this is not strong indicator that they made or did not make them.

4. Hawkeye1

Hawkeye1 Registered User

May 26, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, these are made by Barkus. I have a set just like this and it had a little pamphlet inside the top cover. Please see attached Pics. These also explain the different materials used

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG