Barigo Ships Bell Clock info?

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Hello all!!!

This is only the second time that I have posted on the NAWCC fourms since I joined the NAWCC back in February. And my first post was actually about a pocket watch that belongs to my cousin. He ask me to help him find info about his antique pocket watch. I got a lot of helpful info!

Today I am posting a thread about a clock that I have in my personal collection. I was wondering if any members (or anyone else who has visited the NAWCC forms) have ever heard of a German Clock company called Barigo? Last week I received a Ships Bell Clock as a birthday gift. It was made in 1972 by Barigo. This is my first Ships Bell Clock, and I have been wanting one for a long time. So far, for some reason I have been unable to find much info online about Barigo? I can't even seem to find a manual for it. I have read a lot about Ships Bell Clocks that were made by Chelsea and Seth Thomas, and I'm sure there are other companies that have made them. I am attaching a few pictures of my clock. If anyone could offer more info about it and the company that made it, I would really appreciate it! It is running very well!

2018-07-29 19.18.33.jpg 2018-07-29 19.21.00.jpg

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Barigo is the name and trade name of Barigo-Barometerfabrik GmbH in Schwenningen. The company was started by Richard Goes in 1926 in Esslingen, originally making clocks and barometers. After the war the firm Richard Goes moved to Villingen-Schwenningen and later changed name to Barigo-Barometerfabrik GmbH.

The company is still in business and you could contact them at info@barigo.de

Hope this helps.

JTD

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
there were two or three makers of ships bell strike movements in Germany after WWII ,e.g. Hermle,Schatz,Bäuerle,who sold their products to several retailers.These put the movemens in cases of their own make and signed the dial with their name.Please pull the movement by undoing the 3 or 4 skrews that attach the dial to the case and that are hidden by the bezel when closed and show the movement,I bet we can nail down the maker,perhaps even the year of production.
Burkhard

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
there were two or three makers of ships bell strike movements in Germany after WWII ,e.g. Hermle,Schatz,Bäuerle,who sold their products to several retailers.These put the movemens in cases of their own make and signed the dial with their name.Please pull the movement by undoing the 3 or 4 skrews that attach the dial to the case and that are hidden by the bezel when closed and show the movement,I bet we can nail down the maker,perhaps even the year of production.
Burkhard
Mauthe also made ships bell clocks which were sold under different names, for example "Salem".

Uhralt

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Barigo is the name and trade name of Barigo-Barometerfabrik GmbH in Schwenningen. The company was started by Richard Goes in 1926 in Esslingen, originally making clocks and barometers. After the war the firm Richard Goes moved to Villingen-Schwenningen and later changed name to Barigo-Barometerfabrik GmbH.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Hope this helps.

JTD
Thank you JTD!!!
That info is helpful! I did find their website, but I had to have Google Translate it, since it is in German, which naturally makes sense. As I said before, this is my first Ships Bell Clock, so I am still getting familiar with them.
Thanks again for the info!!

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Burkhard
Thank you Burkhard,
That info is helpful! Is it difficult to take the clock apart to see the movement? I'm not sure if I feel comfortable taking it apart yet, since it is running very well. Hopefully soon maybe I will be brave enough to have my dad help me take the movement out of the case. Is it easy to put back in? As I said before this is my first Ships Bell Clock, and I am still getting familiar with them.
Thanks again!

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I did find their website, but I had to have Google Translate it, since it is in German,
You didn't need to use Google translate - at the top of the home page there is a little British flag and if you click on that, the page will go to English.

JTD

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
it´s neither difficult nor hamfull to get access to the movement,nothing else is required.Undo the four tiny skrews that go through the edge of the dial into the brass case and the movement will drop out-carefully hold it- via the front side/dial side.Take pics of what You see then,and put the mvmt. back into the case.
Good luck!
Burkhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Costin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre