Barber & Whitwell of York, 1815-22. An alarm clock with pull winding.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The clock connection from across the pond brought me an alarm clock. One of the best clocks in my collection. No expense was spared to manufacture this pendulum timepiece of the finest quality. The movement plates are 1/8" thick. The pull knob is a 2 piece design in which each half is threaded and screws together. Even the bell has a resonance that continues for several seconds after being struck. This clock feels like a Rolls Royce to wind in your drowsy state, and to jar you into the conscious realm at your awakening. Fairly hefty as well, 7.5" dial and case standing at 16.25" H.

DSCN8093.JPG DSCN8094.JPG DSCN8095.JPG DSCN8096.JPG DSCN8097.JPG DSCN8098.JPG DSCN8099.JPG DSCN8100.JPG DSCN8101.JPG DSCN8102.JPG DSCN8103.JPG DSCN8105.JPG DSCN8106.JPG DSCN8107.JPG DSCN8108.JPG DSCN8109.JPG DSCN8110.JPG DSCN8111.JPG

WIngraham

NAWCC Member
Apr 19, 2019
Country
Region
That is one classy alarm clock. It is beautifully maintained, someone obviously cared greatly for it. Very nice signature and dial. That is a keeper for sure.

Thank you for all the well lit and clear pics.

Will

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
This is the latest date for a pull wind I have seen that I remember. There were 19th c. alarm fusees, but key wound. So much for an alarm clock being a cheap commodity.
There is a listing for Barber and Whitwell in Loomes, so they were involved with clocks and watches to some extent. However an image search turned up silverware as the primary result. It appears they focused on the high end market.
I thought this teapot looked rather attractive and modern:

So this clock suits me fine. Time only so the wife is more accepting. I have striking clocks of course and a few quarter strikers. But many times ticking only is better suited for our house.
I realized I didn't have a close up of the alarm disc so here it is:

DSCN8112.JPG

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
If they were jewellers is there a name on the front plate?

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I will revisit this. In the interest of time I did not remove the dial. I did not see anything on the front plate be peering behind the dial.
Also will oil the movement and see if it will run. And wax the case and dial. Looks like the case finish was rubbed down but I can't tell the extent of dial restoration. I suppose the black was refinished and to a fine standard. But the white sure looks original and crazed.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I think I did look but don't remember. I agree, the black prob refinished but the ground is either original or just given a wash coat.

You might want to refix the bit of loose veneer before tackling the case so it all looks the same, it is a handsome clock.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The loose piece of veneer was re glued within minutes after unpacking. It is invisible however the stain is a bit light in that area (under dial right of center).

Robert Gift

Nov 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Country
Region
Excellent, clear photos!
From where does thenergy to sound the bell originate? The string with knob winds an alarm spring?
Was glass on the back later added?

Thank you.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
From where does thenergy to sound the bell originate? The string with knob winds an alarm spring?
Was glass on the back later added?
Yes, the thread pulls the spring. There is an alarm ratchet wheel (not pictured, on the same arbor as the thread and barreled spring- in front of the back plate) with a click. Then a lever connected from the alarm disc to the alarm spring barrel lifts upward to release the spring to sound the alarm.
The back glass should be original. It originally had back glass like most English bracket or table clocks. Unless this was replaced but I think it's original.

Reactions: Robert Gift

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
This is the latest date for a pull wind I have seen that I remember. There were 19th c. alarm fusees, but key wound. So much for an alarm clock being a cheap commodity.
There is a listing for Barber and Whitwell in Loomes, so they were involved with clocks and watches to some extent. However an image search turned up silverware as the primary result. It appears they focused on the high end market.
I thought this teapot looked rather attractive and modern:

So this clock suits me fine. Time only so the wife is more accepting. I have striking clocks of course and a few quarter strikers. But many times ticking only is better suited for our house.
I realized I didn't have a close up of the alarm disc so here it is:

View attachment 728274
Hi Chris did you see this when it was on ? 1850 to 70

E3EA2F9B-8060-490C-86C3-0B9AB06429A9.png EF71ED15-219D-4817-85A8-AD5B55237E60.png

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Well of course I was wrong to say that was the latest pull wind.
Your clock looks probably 1850. I would have guessed 1840s. The hands are great. They look like they are based on Regency style, have seen similar on lancet bracket clocks.
That is nice to have an alarm set hand on a dial clock, instead of a center disc.

Last edited:

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Well of course I was wrong to say that was the latest pull wind.
Your clock looks probably 1850. I would have guessed 1840s. The hands are great. They look like they are based on Regency style, have seen similar on lancet bracket clocks.
That is nice to have an alarm set hand on a dial clock, instead of a center disc.
Yes Chris I like the regency Bracket and hands look to be the same so maybe it is earlier.The twine on mine is rotten but think I will leave it for the time being.Love your little clock Top quality maker and the white dial they certainly knew how to make great looking clocks. Mine has that toilet seat bezel which are not popular but it’s at least rosewood and not many of them around.Just looked up two Blurtons 1828 to 50 and 58 to 70 .

Last edited:

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
This is why English clockmaking went into terminal decline at around that time. The French could make good clocks that worked well at a fraction of the price by using semi mass-production techniques. The relatively few English table and carriage clock that continued to be made were, of course, beautiful but hideously expensive.

Reactions: Philip Snowden

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am thankful this clock exists. I think it was probably custom made. If I want a common example there are plenty of those. In many ways, these clocks were made for us collectors. And they were made with quality to assure future generations will also be able to enjoy them.

Reactions: Philip Snowden

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Very nice. Just curious if anyone know if the pendulum lock (for safe travel?) is original. Also wondering why there seem to be two escape wheels; I have to study the pictures a bit more, I guess ;-) Is the verge for the alarm?

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Yes, the verge is for the alarm.

I suppose that it was decided to fit a pendulum lock after the back plate had been engraved. So, it might be original, although mounted over the signature.

Cheers, Bernhard

Reactions: Betzel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GallDG
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent