Banjo in Beat

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by jpweaver, Sep 4, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jpweaver

jpweaver Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    I have recently cleaned and oiled a Waltham Watch Co. banjo clock. All of the pinions,bushings, and gears seem to be intact. It has been oiled appropriately. It will run for a veriable length of time and then stop. it seems to be very difficult to set it in beat. Is this common with this type of "deadbeat" escapement? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

------------------
    jpweaver

2. jpweaver

jpweaver Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    I have recently cleaned and oiled a Waltham Watch Co. banjo clock. All of the pinions,bushings, and gears seem to be intact. It has been oiled appropriately. It will run for a veriable length of time and then stop. it seems to be very difficult to set it in beat. Is this common with this type of "deadbeat" escapement? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

------------------
    jpweaver

3. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You say it's hard to put in beat. Do you think it is in beat when you start it, and is it out when it stops. If so is it moving on the wall, or is it dragging on a tooth causing it.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863

4. jpweaver

jpweaver Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    I am going to mark the escape wheel when it stops again. But I have used the MicroSet to set the "beat", and it does it pretty well. When it stops, it is not beating anymore. I guess I'm just tinkering. Your suggestion about a "tooth" will be answered by marking one tooth.
    Thanks