Banjo clock strike mechanism

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
I just purchased a banjo clock which has a strike mechanism I have never seen. The strike is almost like a piston action. The strike hammer looks like a bullet and it strikes on a coiled gong.
Can somebody enlighten me about this type of strike? It works perfectly and has been with the clock a long time.

Thanks.
Jay

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I presume you are talking about a 20th century banjo. I once owned a Sessions T/S Revere model banjo that struck on a coil gong, and a Waterbury Willard No.4 that did as well. Both sounded quite nice. (In fact, all the Waterbury Willards that were strikers may have had the coiled gong strike.) Not as common as the rod strike perhaps, but they did exist. Don't recall a piston-action. Perhaps a picture of what you have.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
We do need a picture, Jay, as what you say about a coiled gong and hammer like a bullet seems quite normal to me.

Or are you saying it's neither rack nor count wheel?

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
Thanks guys, I will try to get a photo .. my camera is not working at the moment. The strike mechanism is rather a long rod which goes down in a
"piston-like"; or pump like action that propels the hammer head which does resemble a bullet that strikes a coiled gong. The clock is a Ingraham Nyanza
banjo clock.

I have read many post regarding their Nyanza banjo clocks but almost all had chime rods?
regards,
Jay

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Thanks guys, I will try to get a photo .. my camera is not working at the moment. The strike mechanism is rather a long rod which goes down in a
"piston-like"; or pump like action that propels the hammer head which does resemble a bullet that strikes a coiled gong. The clock is a Ingraham Nyanza
banjo clock.

I have read many post regarding their Nyanza banjo clocks but almost all had chime rods?
regards,
Jay
Interesting. The Ingraham strikers I have seen have been on rods.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
regards,
Jay
So yours is a chiming, rather than a striking clock? Indeed, most newer chiming clocks did have rods as four or more coiled gongs would have been a bit unwieldy.

Jay

Dec 12, 2007
Country
Region
Steven is correct--I misused the term. The clock does strike on a wire gong.
The strike mechanism is almost like a plumb line... you need to get the alignment right for it to drop the strike hammer(bullet shaped) on the gong.

Sorry I do not have the ability to post a picture of the mechanism at the moment.

Jay

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Honestly, it looks like someone has jury rigged this sucker. The strike hammer looks bent all out of shape. I can't believe it left the factory like that. And is that a strike rod I see in the bottom picture?

Last edited:

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Honestly, it looks like someone has jury rigged this sucker. The strike hammer looks bent all out of shape. I can't believe it left the factory like that. And is that a strike rod I see in the bottom picture?
Hello Steven,
The rod you see that would appear to possibly be a strike rod is acutually threaded on both ends and has nuts. this is used to hold all three parts of the case together. (Head, throat, and bottom sections). The coiled gong certainly appears original. The base section has a hole cut in it and the gong bolts into the bottom section of the throat only. (with the nut showing in the hole in the bottom section.)

Any one else with questions or information:???:?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Just out of curiosity, what is the date on the Ingraham movement? It should be stamped on either side of the handshaft.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alynn Legal
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions