• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

banjo clock, a-frame movement, c1830s

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Absolutely beautiful !! I love the all wood timepieces.
I have one similar to yours.........
Bruce #3

all wood banjo.jpg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i love the wood, but it was the a-frame movement that called to me... not a lot of those puppies around.... except for Jim DuBois, of course, who probably has a dozen of them! :)

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
i love the wood, but it was the a-frame movement that called to me... not a lot of those puppies around.... except for Jim DuBois, of course, who probably has a dozen of them! :)
I have a single loose A-frame movement, but sadly no clock to go with it.......by the way, that is an exceptionally nice example you have! Congratulations!

20211017_071054.jpg 20211017_071109.jpg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i Google searched for “Banjo Clock a frame movement” and this clock in the NAWCC museum was the first listing… note the similar movement, the unusual mounting ears, anchor escapement, and Keystone in front of the hour cannon as opposed to Dee Williams and others who’s keystones road between the minute and hour hand cannons. different chimney and finial but i like mine better. :)

UPDATE: i have reached out to the museum to see if they have photos, if the dial on theirs is also signed by hedrick, and if they take photos as part of the acquisition intake process. i'd be curious to see if their movement is stamped, as mine has '5' on each of the plates.i'm also curious as to how they know it's a wilbour, as it does not look the wilbour in chip eta's book, which steve petrucelli says he was familiar with (including provenance).

i guess i'm learning it's next to impossible to identify many of these timepieces....

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
heard back from the museum... their clock is a twin of main... same bezel latch and other details, including movement mounting ears. steve petrucelli does not think they were made by job wilbour, but thinks it's great that there appear to have been at least 11 of them...

here are more photos of mine:

image0.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

and of the one in the nawcc museum:

Job WilbourA.jpg Job WilbourB.jpg Job WilbourC.jpg Job WilbourD.jpg

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
That is a real beauty, Bruce - congrats!

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i REALLY want to know who made this... anyone know any a-frame / newport banjo clock experts?

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
What a tangled web is woven.

If this is a Rhode Island area clock, then how did a Lowell Mass dial end up in that area?

George Hedrick (1807 - 1894) is listed in the 1850 census as a Painter (age 41) and in the 1860 census as an Artist (age 51), both in Lowell, MA

The Lowell MA directories in 1834 - 1836 list him as a painter....didn't go any further with these

Now, what is the scratched area on this dial back....it appears to be DURFEE?

Possible Durfee - Copy.jpg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
one of the things i've learned in my time here is that stuff scratched into dials and/or movement plates and/or written by hand are not necessarily worth much. someone could have scratched 'durfee' during a misidentification episode, or maybe it was owned once by big tony durfee, from jersey... who knows? :)

what we do know is that hedrick's signature on both dials matches... and that foley says: "A banjo dial signed on the read "G.Hedrick, Painter, Lowell" is in the NAWCC Museum." i believe Peter A. Nunes is forwarding photos and/or this thread to paul for comment (if he has any).

as to your dates, according to foley's book, hedrick was advertising in 1832: "clock and timepiece dials'.

it would be awesome to find other a-frame movements with the same mounting ears... especially if signed/attributed. the only other example i've found is this one, attributed to david williams but stamped (and with dial signature) 'griswold'... but the escape wheel teeth are pointing in the opposite direction and many of the froster-most parts look much cruder: on the other hand, these two and the griswold are the only ones i've found with the mounting ears on the back plate and where the keystone rides in front of the motion works.

and i couldn't find anything about a 'griswold'...

Reactions: Dick C

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Here is one I owned a long time ago. No ears. The dial said "Williams". Sadly, I have no photos of the case, the dial, or anything else. This is from back in the days when every time you hit the shutter button it cost a buck or maybe 50 cents, so I would guess all the other photos got snail-mailed to someone who bought the clock. And the negatives are long gone too. 20-20 hindsight wins again?

The second I evidently also owned at some time, also no case photos or other details. And the third is a solid backplate, still no ears.

Cus10212.JPG DSCN5562.jpg P1010018.JPG

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
as with music, good ears are essential... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertKarl
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-