Bandsaw Modification for Shop Use

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Jim DuBois, Jul 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are various companies who offer kits to convert these el cheapo bandsaws to a useable tabletop version. This particular saw didn't seem to have a kit available so I built my version and added a larger table also. I had all the materials lying about and removing the upper handle provided a strong mounting point using the 2 retention bolts for the handle. This simple frame took this tool from seldom used to used almost daily. I am always fabricating something for a clock restoration and this is far more handy than my much larger saw. The base is 1/8" steel, the support tube is 2" square tube and the support arm is also 1/8". The table is of 1/16" mild steel and could stand to be made of a slightly thicker material, but it works OK as is. The aluminum strip is used just so as I didn't need to shorten the bolts from their prior use to attach the upper handle. One of my best ever repurposing of something in the shop.

20190611_141744(0).jpg 20190611_141801.jpg 20190611_141756.jpg 20190611_141749.jpg

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    nice jim! i guess i need to get off my duff and make one of these for my portaband.

for those of you in the market, you can usually find the deep cut milwaukee version used in pawn shops and on craigslist for under 150.00.

3. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got a Milwaukee at a yard sale for $5.00. Had to replace the power cord, tires, drive chain & sprocket and put some new bushings in. It works great, but is just cumbersome enough to make it a chore to use. I'll be making this upgrade, for sure! Thanks for sharing.
    One question... What's the aluminum bar at the top mount for? Just a spacer?

4. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    "The aluminum strip is used just so as I didn't need to shorten the bolts from their prior use to attach the upper handle" I decided to leave it entirely reversible if I need to use it as intended. I am really pleased with it in use.

5. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    You wouldn’t happen to have a clever design for a fence would you? I think I’ll need to make one for my Proxxon band saw.

Regards
    Karl

6. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim:

In the third picture, is that a Porsche 928S4 in the background?

Frank

7. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank,

good eye. It is indeed a Porsche 928S, just not a 4. It is a 1984 16V, the last of the 16 valve versions.

8. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 brian fisher, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    i finally got around to making this modification to my saw. my design is a bit more minimalist than jim's, but it seems to do the job just fine.

1Lgyh9.jpg

n1uYYU.jpg

ZL5EKn.jpg

i still need to clean and paint the bracket, but otherwise it is finished. one of the neighbors had an old bed frame laying by the street. i picked it up and used it as donor material.

Jim DuBois likes this.
  9. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Excellent! I continue to be pleased with my version. I think you will find yours to be a favored tool for fabrication also. It falls into one of those "why didn't I think of or do this years ago?" sort of black holes.

Brian, you still have a very large clock dial here, and you need to see my latest toy (EMCO lathe) too.

10. brian fisher

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    as usual, you are right on both accounts. even more important to me is all the good stuff i learn every time i have the chance to hang out.