Ball Standard/Chelsea #4 wall clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Happychi, Nov 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Happychi

Happychi Registered User

Nov 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 Happychi, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Hi,
    A friend & I got together recently and again he steered our discussion to this wall clock I have.
    I think he wants it. He asked how many were made.
    I called the Chelsea company and by photos and serial # they verified what it is, but could not give an estimate of how many they made.
    Does anyone know how many, or approximately how many of these were made with
    the name "Ball Standard"?

Actually any information you could offer would be appreciated.

P1010041.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010092.JPG P1010094.JPG P1010095.JPG P1010211.jpg P1010212.jpg P1010213.JPG P1010214.JPG P1010215.JPG P1010216.JPG P1010217.JPG P1010218.JPG P1010219.JPG

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    from what i’ve read most of the ball clocks were made by seth thomas.... although some have been seen with chelsea movements. yours is not a typical chelsea and i can’t find another example of your clock anywhere.

if it were me, i’d keep it.

3. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Ball was into railroad Official standard watches. I would not know if the name "Ball" on your clock would be the same guy.

The Railroad industry pretty much invented standardized time and Ball was originally the official inspector.

Ball watches were made by others and finished by Ball.

Chelsea made highly respected clocks in my opinion.

Jim

4. Happychi

Happychi Registered User

Nov 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, Bruce.
    Thank you, Jim. Agreed, Ball is known for their Official standard RR pocket watches, but they also had clocks made by Seth Thomas and Chelsea.
    I was told this was The Office Clock of a Midwest company; if true, the large dial makes sense, but, hopefully more to come on that.
    Additional research revealed this (click this link) Chelsea Antique Clock
    lot543.jpg

5. Happychi

Happychi Registered User

Nov 16, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The following being taken from a reply from the Chelsea Company....
    "We have checked serial number 186803 and the information is consistent with the clock you have showing it was sold to Norris Al. Ball Bridges Company on November 24, 1928 and it is listed as a # 4 wall clock so this information is consistent with the clock in your photos. Please note this is the exact same information a certificate would contain and the certificate is not intended to be a legally binding document of ownership or valuation but more of a showpiece for all that may see the clock and wonder where it came from."

Also, further research shows the Norris Alister Ball Bridges Company, wholesale jewelers located 58 E Washington St..
    In the NAWCC Bulletin, Voluma 39, Page 793 we see: The Norris Alister Ball Bridges Company was absorbed by Webb Ball; the name
    Norris Alister Ball Bridges Company, shortened to Ball Company.

??Could this be the office clock at the Webb Ball Company?