Ball parts

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by jboger, Nov 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have been reading Ball-related posts under American Pocketwatches. I read under one such post that parts for Ball watches could be ordered. Is that true? I thought if one were missing a part one would need to remove it from a junkernot order it from someone. More specifically, I'm looking for a regulator. (I listed a query under Parts Wanted).)

Is there a supplier for Ball parts? I thought any source for parts for any American pocket watch dried up a long time ago.

2. Kevin Neathery

Kevin Neathery Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    IT Security
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As far as I am aware, any new parts are actually new old stock parts and you would be buying from a watchmaker most likely. The modern Ball watches are much a different story. But you are correct, only parts are old parts and any new parts would be someone making one if not NOS. If there is a company making or having Ball pocket watch parts I would be interested too, but I think it highly unlikely.

If you can find the post where someone says they can order new parts please post the link to the thread here.

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Moving thread to watch repair

Rob

4. Samie Smith

Samie Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    watchmaker
    Monticello ky.
    Country Flag:
    I don,t know which Ball movement you have,, if you have a 16 size Ball Hamilton then a regulator from any 16 size Hamilton railroad watch like a 992 will work on the Ball Hamilton 16 size. Hamilton made the movement for Ball.so parts will interchange.
    Samie

5. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Be aware that not all Ball watches were made by Hamilton. Many were made by Waltham and Illinois. Also Elgin and some others. Many times the parts are standard for the original company but some were custom made for the Ball contracts, so not everything is interchangeable even if made by the same company.

6. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have, over the years, come across envelopes of "Ball parts" from LaRose, so it appears they put some of the unique Ball parts out there. (Stuff like winding wheels with the unique Ball pattern.) I expect some of these are still floating around.

7. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    jboger,

I saw your request in Parts wanted and you need a regulator for a 18s Hamilton Ball.

They are the same as a regular Hamilton, however you need to be more specific, if you need the regulator that snaps over the raised cap jewel or the regulator whip spring. The whip springs on Ball- Hamilton's 18s are different than the Hamilton whip spring, a different shape.

8. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #8 jboger, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Thanks for the responses. Yes, an 18s Hamilton Ball. I'll post a picture here tomorrow and under my post for parts wanted.

I've added this a few minutes later as an edit. The watch came with a simple regulator that snapped over the setting for the cap jewel. Odd that it fits so well. Still, there is the small hole to receive the screw for the whip. I mean the tiny screw that secures the whip to the cock, not the larger screw used to adjust the position of the regulator like a micrometer. I don't have that screw either. I've assumed the regulator that I do have is wrong, that someone replaced the original with what I do have.

Pictures tomorrow.

9. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here are the pictures. The regulator that came with the watch is in the last picture. Because it fits so well, I suspect it came from a different Hamilton.

IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0668.jpg

10. Samie Smith

Samie Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    watchmaker
    Monticello ky.
    Country Flag:
    I belive that is a Waltham regulator.

11. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User