Ball escapement oddity or wierdness

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Mar 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some of my internal letterd from the ball family indicated that they swapped out escapements sometimes as many as three or four times on watches when trying different variations. I came across this ball watch today. Check it out. Thoughts?

20200327_120224.jpg

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff,
    What is it that I am looking for?
    It is a Hamilton bimetallic cut balance used up until the 992E came along. I think I see a gold strip on the pallet bridge but other than that everything looks normal?

pmwas likes this.
  3. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes... the tricolor palette bridge...

4. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can’t see clearly... for me - it’s either missing a cap jewel setting or it has been filed down to clear the balance after a pallet arbor/balance staff) repair...

5. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very weird!! As I see it, the pallet bridge extends way under the escape wheel and the pallet pivot is in the silver circle. I suspect this is a replacement pallet bridge modified for this watch. I would like t see the lever

Jeff Hess and Keith R... like this.
  6. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What I think - you can see the escape wheel all right - it does not extend anywhere...

Also - what's with the silver circle? The pallet bearing is the jewel right next to the balance rim. It also looks like the oil reservoir is on the other side (but it's not clear), so probably there used to be a cap jewel. The silver dot (not seen clearly) might be a plug or a reamining bit of screw in the hole that was once used to secure cap jewel setting.

In this case this should be a 21j watch.
    The actual shape of the cut-out on the pallet arbor matches the shape of the gold cap jewel setting used in these watches.

7. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Would be much better to have the balance cock and balance removed to be able to give a decent assessment, on first look and with the restricted view it looks more like someone's backyard bodge job.

Of the research and development purpose a mock-up is not usually this crude, not even for the era in my opinion, a better view would be much more beneficial.