Ball & Co BLF dial

O

oldtimelampshop

Hello,
I came across this pocket watch dial that is a railroad dial, it is marked on the dial. Trade Mark BLF Standard Ball & Co. Cleveland (the BLF is colored Black, blue, and red). From the dial feed, i think this goes on a waltham watch. I have bought a Shugart watch book but cant seem to find this dial or watch it goes to. can anyone please tell me which watch movement would be original to this dial. also please tell me if this is a rare dial or common. i did notice that the watch book says ball & co is harder to find. i would like to complete a watch with this and would like to find a movement in any condition. i have pictures i can email if i cant figure out how to post them i also have a dial that reads Electric Railroad Standard and it looks to have illinois feet on it, it has red dots around outside, i did not see one listed in the book under illinois watch. thanks.jamie

O

oldtimelampshop

Hello,
I came across this pocket watch dial that is a railroad dial, it is marked on the dial. Trade Mark BLF Standard Ball & Co. Cleveland (the BLF is colored Black, blue, and red). From the dial feed, i think this goes on a waltham watch. I have bought a Shugart watch book but cant seem to find this dial or watch it goes to. can anyone please tell me which watch movement would be original to this dial. also please tell me if this is a rare dial or common. i did notice that the watch book says ball & co is harder to find. i would like to complete a watch with this and would like to find a movement in any condition. i have pictures i can email if i cant figure out how to post them i also have a dial that reads Electric Railroad Standard and it looks to have illinois feet on it, it has red dots around outside, i did not see one listed in the book under illinois watch. thanks.jamie

mikeh

Mar 5, 2001
Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board!

I'm not a RR watch collector, but I know enough to know they are at least scarce, if not rare, and highly sought after. It represents, I believe, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen.

Feel free to email the pictures and I'll host them for you. A picture of the bottom will help someone more knowledgeable determine what movement it fits. You can get my email address by clicking my name at top of this reply and then click my public profile.

Add: I don't have a current Shugart guide, but there are several 'Brotherhood' signature variations listed at the end of the Ball 'American' section.

Rhett Lucke

Board Secretary
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 18, 2001
rrstd.com
Country
Jamie,

It sounds like you have the dial for a 16's Waltham-Ball BLF dial. Like all the railroad brotherhood Ball dials, this one would have originally came on a matched movement. The correct movement would most likely have the same BLF logo in place of the gold RR seal found on most Waltham Ball's. You should be able to find these in Shugarts book in the Ball-Waltham 16 size section. The BLF might not be listed individually, but would fall into the same category as the other brotherhood ball's (i.e. ORC, BRT, BofLFE etc...)

The good news is...in most cases, the dials are much tougher to find than the movements. Unfortunately, the movements are not easy to find either.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Rhett

IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
Thats great! I have a Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen watch fob with the same style letters. Great find.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuzzy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions