Balance wheel

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by Martinus, Sep 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Martinus

Martinus Registered User

Aug 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
  2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    A little hard to tell from your pictures but if it is the original regulator and it is not broken it should be possible to put it back in its place.

Quetion is if there has been any deformation of the hairspring? Even if you get the regulator in place you might need to manipulate the hairspring back to its original shape.

To re-fit the regulator I would remove the balance cock and balance. I think you can press the regulator back in place from the top. It should have an opening in its round part.

I would then replace both hairspring and cock to check if the hairspring is damaged......

3. Martinus

Martinus Registered User

Aug 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks a lot. I'll very soon follow up with your advice.

4. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Just be careful so you don't break the regulator.....It can be a bit tricky!

You could also have a look underneth the cock. I believe there is a u shaped piece holding the part where the jewels are fitted. (Hard to tell from your photo) By removing the u shaped part you can remove the jewel setting and fit the regulator before you re assemble.

5. Martinus

Martinus Registered User

Aug 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
    A lot of thanks for the update. I haven't started yet.
    But I'm sure I'll follow your instructions ASAP. THANKS.