Balance Wheel Clocks

flopearedmule

Apr 13, 2021
Country
Just wondering if there are any plans out there for a balance wheel that is bigger than a pocket watch?
What would happen if you take a pocket watch and double or triple the size? Can it be done?
I have been finding plans all over the place for pendulum clocks, but not much for a balance wheel.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Reactions: flopearedmule

flopearedmule

Apr 13, 2021
Country
Thank You for the links.
I have spent the last couple days watching videos and reading what I can find.
I'm wondering if a guy could copy a pocket watch, and just scale it bigger to make it easier to build?

I'm thinking the scaling would NOT be equal proportions?? I don't know what the size the balance wheel would be in a swiss watch, but if it were 1" diameter......could It be scaled to 4" diameter ?? What problems would I have besides the extra weight, and maybe I would get less ticks per second. One of the videos I watched said it clicks 6 times a second (that's pretty fast)

Do any of you know of a book I could get to help answer some of my questions?

Thanks

Where do I find a cheap replica of a swiss pocket watch to disassemble measure the parts and play with it??

This gif file is very cool, and doesn't look too hard to build with a set of prints.

sept-hardware-report-image01.gif

Last edited:

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
Don't forget the ever popular EUREKA which has a big balance wheel with timing screws and is quite fascinating to watch.

Jim

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
There's plans available for a couple of those eureka and large balance electromagnetic clocks, then here's W.O. Smith Jr's chronograph wristwatch I couldn't find an online picture, this is the back cover of "twenty-first century watchmaking"

1618766285972577224079401664085.jpg

flopearedmule

Apr 13, 2021
Country
Don't forget the ever popular EUREKA which has a big balance wheel with timing screws and is quite fascinating to watch.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I didn't know about those clocks. Thanks for that info. That has a nice large balance wheel
I will search them and maybe find a video of one ticking.

flopearedmule

Apr 13, 2021
Country
There's plans available for a couple of those eureka and large balance electromagnetic clocks, then here's W.O. Smith Jr's chronograph wristwatch I couldn't find an online picture, this is the back cover of "twenty-first century watchmaking"

View attachment 649886
That's awesome! I will look for that book. (just checked amazon, book is not available) Is there an article on this giant watch?
This is what I was thinking about doing. just copy a pocket watch and size it like that one. Now I know someone has done it already. Probably a little nicer than what I could do.
Does anyone know if there is more information on this giant model?

Last edited:

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
That book doesn't really have any info about that watch, just the picture. The watch was made as a demonstration piece. I think there is an article in the old HIA journals on it.

Reactions: flopearedmule

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
A Terryville steeple clock and two other Terryville pedestal clocks, All marine balance time-pieces.

image.jpg image.jpg

Jessk09

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2020
Country
And a J.C. Brown [ Marine balance ]

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63