English PW Balance staff English fusee

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by praezis, Jun 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    Preregistration is now closed.
    Visit the site for our New Member Walk In Deal.
  1. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to change the mentioned balance staff (1st time this type). It looks like it is a simple straight or tapered staff. The balance spoke has a riveted brass sleeve that contains the staff.

EnglFusee1.jpg EnglFusee2.jpg EnglFusee3.jpg

How should I remove the old staff. If tapered, in which direction?
    Thanks for help,

Frank

2. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Frank
    Based on the third photo, it appears that the staff could have only been installed from the bottom of the balance. I would remove the roller and drive out from the top of the balance down. I would also dimension the brass sleeve first, in case something really strange happens. It can then be easily remade.

Jerry Kieffer

3. Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Frank
    I am a little late on this , but on second look, it appears that the staff has a hub that the roller is seated on. If so, it would then be difficult to support the brass sleeve when removing the staff. This can be resolved by using a staking tool roller removing accessory per attached photo. The arms can reach behind the hub and support the sleeve.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_3eb.jpeg

4. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry,
    thank you for being engaged in my problem and for your hints!
    After posting I found that exactly my question had already been answered in 2015 here.

Both of you advised to push the staff to the bottom. My measurement however showed a staff diameter of 0.56 at the upper end of the brass sleeve and 0.55 at the lower end. Assuming a straight tapered staff I was tempted to push it to the top, but no movement.
    Eventually I could remove the staff to the bottom.
    Bal_fus2.jpg

A strange double tapered staff appeared: the part in the brass sleeve was roughly square shaped.
    Bal_fus3.jpg

In advance I had removed the roller that came loose with a nasty frightening cracking noise, but there was no damage in any way.
    Bal_fus1.jpg

Hours later this work was finished.
    Bal_fus4.jpg

Frank

5. Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Frank
    I am happy it worked out for you. It looks great.

The most unusual staff I have ever had, had a roller that was one piece to the staff itself with a triangle roller jewel in a triangle hole.

In this case, if you did not have a staff, I am assuming that you machined or cut a replacement staff. Personally, if it had ran true when chucked on the square, I may have been tempted to repivot it as it appears to have the dimensions that would support such a repair.

Jerry Kieffer

6. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry,
    yes I made a new staff.
    0.11 mm pivots are beyond my drilling possibilities, my limit is 0.20.

Frank

7. Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Frank
    Micro drilling is of course another topic by itself.

In this case, I would have also machined a new staff due to its basic design. However had I repivoted it for whatever reason, it would have been done per the attached sketch.
    When repivoting, I rarely Repivot the actual size of the pivot, but some what larger. I then machine down too size that assures a round straight pivot centered to the staff or whatever.

Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_3ef.jpeg

8. praezis

praezis Registered User

Feb 11, 2008
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry,
    I know that micro drilling is one of your favorite topics and I like your postings and amazing ideas.

Recently I had to replace twice the pallet staffs of PWs as above. One got the pivot drilled, the other staff was turned. I found the drilling not so much faster than the other method. With all the involved extra work amazingly it always takes twice the time that I expected before.

Frank

9. Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Frank
    I would agree that a typical pallet arbor can be turned or machined in about the same time as repivoting. Personally, I only repivot where original strength, accuracy, appearance and function can be maintained while minimizing time and effort.

Jerry Kieffer