• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Eureka Balance spring

Titch

Dec 4, 2013
Country
I am very interested in the "Eureka" clocks and would be happy to exchange information.
I need a replacement balance spring for a "Eureka"; does any one know where I may be able to get one?

Titch

Dec 4, 2013
Country
Does anyone know of a source of replacement springs for the "Eureka"?
Has any member made a replacement spring?
JamesH

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, James, welcome to the message board. If you search the forum for "Eureka", you will find lots of information about these clocks. However, finding a balance spring will be more difficult. What is wrong with yours? Post a few pictures of your clock so we can see what you are up against.

John UK

Mar 25, 2006
Balance springs were available from Horologix in the UK, but they no longer seem to do them. I'm not sure if anyone else does them.

Titch

Dec 4, 2013
Country
The balance spring has been remade from what looks like piece of perhaps an alarm clock or large pocket watch spring?
This has subsequently had another piece soldered on to it. It is successful in that the clock runs; albeit erratically and way too fast.
The outside diameter is much larger than an original spring and looks all wrong.
I would really like to get a replacement spring made, but realize that this may be problem.
I have the specifications of the original springs, but matching the modulus of an original to get the 2 2/3 oscillations may require a lot of luck.
James