Bakelite repair on Schatz mini carrage

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Wayne A, Nov 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone had to drop this little Schatz from several feet and it landed like a cat, on its feet which shattered the Bakelite inner base. Two out of three feet were broken but fortunately this base comes apart and most of the little pieces had not came apart like a puzzle.With some JB weld aluminum plate and clamps was able to make it usable again. Did have a hole to contend with and used electrical tape to seal the hole up while the JB weld was setting up. Think it came out ok and its out of view anyway.

Had to hammer out the dents in the lower brass subplate from the feet being driven upwards but lucky the top of the bottom plate was not dented if that makes sense. Bottom assembly has two brass layers with a bit of an air gap between them.

Theres some pitting on the top of the cover that looks like something was sprayed near it and only landed on the horizontal surfaces as the verticals are untouched. Polished it up but would take some serious sanding to get rid of those deep pits. Probably some household cleaner did that.

Main spring was broken, bent first wheel axle, few other piviots were bent as well, all teeth were ok. Its up and running very well now.

20191029_142949.jpg 20191029_142954.jpg 20191030_155049.jpg 20191030_155105.jpg 20191103_095153.jpg

etmb61 likes this.
  2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice! Sounds like you had quite a lot to deal with to bring this one back! I have several like this and I always feel a bit anxious whenever I pick them up. I usually use two hands...one holding the knob on top and the other hand supporting the base from underneath. I don't trust the side closures for the top...maybe I don't trust that I used them correctly!!

Kurt

3. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kurt, the more troubles the more fun!

Absolutely don't trust those levers to hold the cover on. There design seems to rely on friction holding them into closed position as there is no actual locking position. Would take more curve over the pin so it could over rotate the pin, but short of that the only way to pick these up is with two hands! Even the cover pins are just pressed in, found one of them loose.

Another thing on this clock I thought was odd. The back side of the lamp reflector was painted gold and had a number of scratches in the paint so I removed the paint and polished it. Under the paint I found a stamping hiding there; "AUG.SCHATZ & SONHE MADE IN GERMANY".

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What was odd? That it was painted or that you found the Aug. Schatz stamp?

Kurt

5. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That they painted over the stamp.

6. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have one that is broken about like this. Never thought to try JB weld on it. I'll have to give it a try. I've always considered broken Bakelite as a lost cause.

Eric

7. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glued up a Bakelite Simpson Ohm meter many years ago, its sill solid. The glue will hold but I had to roughen up the surface removing that gloss so the glue had something to stick too, held it firm against a wood block to back up the sanding. No problem with the broken edges there already into the meat. Slow set JB weld sets up very hard.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    No, no, Bakelite repairs very nicely with modern adhesives. Try it - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

JTD

9. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've always had good luck with cyanoacrylate.

10. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps a gell cyanoacrylate, but thinner types tend to be wicked away in porous surfaces and not so well with poorly fitting surfaces. I've probably used a couple of gallons of CA building model aircraft and its terrific when it works.

11. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My glue of choice these days is E6000.

Kurt

12. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just took a count on my glue shelf, 9 different types. E6000 is good stuff for things that need a little flex.

13. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Clock had been experiencing very intermittent flutter but other wise keeping good time. Kept moving the fork up but it persisted. Had used the guide's recommended .0023 spring and I think was too thin as it was nearly full fast to regulate it and thin springs seem to flutter easier.. So went up one to .0024 spring and no more flutter today and the weights are near center of range. Has a very healthy 390deg rotation with tons of over swing. Really like the spring loaded pendulum design, seems to keep the adjustment slop taken up allowing for quick regulation.

14. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The item being repaired here is Bakelite. Zero if any porosity and the parts generally fit up like glass with few if any double-concave surfaces.

15. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had a good bit of pulverized to powder bakelite, it was gone. I made new material to hold one of the feet with the epoxy. Another down size with CA is its vapor can condense on surfaces you don't want it to making it cloudy.

16. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: the vapor...
    Have you ever seen what the cops sometimes use to find fingerprints on the inside of a stolen vehicle?
    They have a large tray of CA they peel the lid off of and set on the seat along with a container of hot water.
    The vapor covers the entire inside of the vehicle.
    It's truly a mess!

17. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've heard of CA being used to lift fingerprints but would imagine it may total some cars! Its difficult to remove, normally just let it wear off my fingers and can be peeled in a day or two. Always keep a bottle of acetone handy when I'm building a model, can't tell you how many times I glued fingers together or to something.