Bailey Banks and Biddle help gold pocket watch

Sidzi1998

Feb 12, 2021
Country
Can I get some help getting more info and potential value on this pocket watch I inherited, please? The jeweler just wants to melt it for gold.

7DBC4CBA-C9AA-4551-BFE5-BDD959C300EF.jpeg E34D04C0-D9E2-43B3-AB89-54A55E2939FD.jpeg 000DAFC0-81C0-496A-9A53-8B68AA21C0E0.jpeg D23CB30E-359D-4CF2-8B9A-85F33E408A0A.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC forum

I'm sure others will give you more information but a family
watch(you said you inherited it) is a very nice thing to own
and pass down through the family even if the gold value is
worth more than the watch. That being said we need to see the
inside of the watch the works(the movement inside) to know
exactly what you have. Please post some photos if you can.

Rob

Sidzi1998

Feb 12, 2021
Country
Welcome to the NAWCC forum

I'm sure others will give you more information but a family
watch(you said you inherited it) is a very nice thing to own
and pass down through the family even if the gold value is
worth more than the watch. That being said we need to see the
inside of the watch the works(the movement inside) to know
exactly what you have. Please post some photos if you can.

Rob
Thank you. I just posted those pics. The family member this was from is not known and there really is not family value from this as it was essentially from an outsider member of our family and just forgotten about. If that makes sense

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I see the movement now hopefully someone will come by soon
and help. I will add the Value tag to your thread.

Rob

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
RE: "The jeweler just wants to melt it for gold."

The case back in your photo says base metal.

It's not solid gold

Rob

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
This is a recently made watch. Arnex is mass market company. They have recently been "upping" their game offering better items. Most Arnex watche are very low end quartz so this an unusually goo done for them.

This watch is in an oversize case as seen by the spacer. It has a good movement designed to be serviced but doing so costs ore than the watch is worth. It is worth doing if the watch is to be worn and used.

The case has a a very thin gold plating. Thicker plating would be labeled with the plating thickness usually in microns (1 millionth of a meter of 1/1000 of a millimeter).

If your jeweler pays you for gold, take the money and run!

These rarely come up as old watches so it is hard to give a value but I think it is in the $50 range. A new one costs a lot more but these have very low resale value.

You might get a better idea by checking eBay looking for Arnex jeweled pocket watches. As usual check sold items, lots of eBay watch listings ask delusional prices and do not sell.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
It looks like they used a STD-96-4 movement made by FHF. At least it reminds me of one I have on a Gruen. Gruen calls the movement a caliber 505, IIRC. It's a decent movement for which parts can generally be found. The case is decent as well, and has the type of gold plating that is measured in microns or fractions thereof. But as has been pointed out, it is a fairly recent manufacture. My Gruen that uses this movement is from the late sixties or early seventies, FWIW. Good luck.

Barney Green

Jan 19, 2017
Diesel gate HQ
Country
Region
Most said appears to be correct. Sorry, but this is a cheap retro pocket watch most likely from about 1980. The movement is not a FHF 96-4 but appears to be an Unitas 6325 or similar from that family. MrRoundel woud have been correct that ST96-4 from FHF was called Caliber 505 by Gruen though. But, as said, different movement.
As Dr.Jon said, the case is of the cheapest gold plating, so if some one would pay ou for the gold you may get a nickle and a dime...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Costin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre