Baeurle Peerless Movement

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Bill Cann, May 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Cann

Bill Cann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    I have a Bauerle Peerless movement that runs well but the strike seems like it is missing something. There is no spring on the hammer, so it strikes once and bounces loudly a couple times after that. There are two pins that a spring could be attached to but not sure an extension spring would work, but maybe a hefty torsion spring might. Attached a couple pictures. Hoping someone can fill in the gap.

Thanks for any help.
    Bill

Bauerle hammer.jpg Bauerle hammer2.jpg

2. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pin that sticks out of the hammer shaft looks like it was engaged by a simple spring made from a piece of heavy piano wire that staked into the opposite plate. These break off without much provocation. If there was such a spring you'll find its remains staked into the rear of the front plate. I would add that there are better designs for hammer springs, and a light coil tension spring hooked to wherever you can hook it would probably do a good job. But if there was a simple staked one-wire spring for the hammer and you want to reproduce it, just drill a tiny hole next to the broken-off spring in the front plate and stake in a substantial piece of piano wire or pivot wire.

M Kinsler

3. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    I don't think this one has a spring. You adjust the pickup with the screw on the side of the hammer. The bounce is from it being to close to the gong.