• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Badische plate 1015 (Hauck?)

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
I finished this clock recently. Took a bit of cleaning, but was easy to get going. I am assuming it is a Hauck made for Badische, but I am sure Eric will be by to make the correct call. I was attracted by the unusually large face on it. It is easily to read from anywhere in the room with the contrasting silver face and black hands. What I had a question about is the date. The book says it is from 1902. Most of the clocks from that time seemed to have smaller faces and this would be in sharp contrast. What are your thoughts; is the date wrong or were they going for a very different look than the contemporary clocks of the time?

IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2607.JPG

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
First let me just say I'm thrilled that you think I'm an authority on identifying these clocks. Anyway, your movement is by Huber, not Hauck. It's a bit frustrating because I think all the references call these Badische. Here are some identifying features that should help clear this up. There is still quite a bit of variation in clocks marked for different sellers but these are the basics.

The easiest to spot is the Huber movements have lantern pinions.
Huber pinions.jpg
Kienzle left, Badische right.
If it's a torsion clock with lantern pinions it's almost certainly a Huber movement.

The lantern pinion movements have several features that differ from all the other torsion clocks that are based on Harder's original design. The two most visible are the barrel cap is toward the front plate, which makes it a pain to service the mainspring, and the train has an extra wheel between the center and the escape wheels.

Here is a picture of four different Huber plates. From left to right they are Badische, Kienzle, Selsi, and Huber.
Huber plates 4.jpg
You can see how the trains have the same layout and the extra pivot above and to the left of the center pivot. The winding ratchets and clicks are also laid out the same. Most of the Badische I've seen have a brass click with a simpler spring and a slightly larger ratchet wheel. Must have been to reduce costs. You can also see they have the same style suspension brackets that hold the anchor pivots.

I did not arrange the plates by age. I don't have much dating information. However, the right most plate with the DRGM numbers is probably the oldest. The DRGMs would have expired in 1915. The Badische on the left would probably be after that. The Kienzle clock appears in their 1926 catalog as model 204. Finally the SELSI is probably the newest because the trademark was awarded after 1926.

I'm not sure when the larger dials were popular, but I have a very similar Kundo clock that dates around 1927.
19087c.jpg

Hope this helps. We haven't heard from John Hubby for a while, but he probably has some better dating information.

Eric

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
Thanks for the response and I am glad you are thrilled; your response would seem to confirm my assessment that you are the man to ask. Your Kundo is definitely very similar. I have a chrome one that is similar, but not as close a match. I might have to start another thread in the near future, because it does not exactly match the plates in the book

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
"not exactly matching the plates in the book" is somewhat of a common theme, I'm afraid. It was impossible to have seen/measured every possible plate for every clock when the book was written.

Kurt

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
Here is an old post from John Hubby about plates and dates for "Badische" clocks.

Eric

whatgoesaround

Jan 22, 2008
south carolina
Country
Region
Thanks for adding that, Eric. I should have noted it in my "guide" back then. Where has John Hubby been; he is well, isn't he?

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albert58S
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit