Badische 30-Day - Key?

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by KurtinSA, Aug 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 KurtinSA, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    I picked this 30-day clock up at the recent Southern Ohio regional. I think I bought it mainly for the pendulum...I don't see this one much...#28A which John said the adjuster was below the top ball. I've said Badische, but maybe it's a Huber? I does seem to run although in the limited time I've had it running, it didn't seem to be all that consistent in terms of time regulation. Maybe nature of the beast or I just haven't had enough time with it.

I finally got it home and thought I'd wind it. I don't have anything to fit. I've tried my #3 chuck for my letdown tool, but that didn't fit the arbor. I figure it's a #4 but the shank of the letdown chuck won't fit in the hole. Nothing I have seems to fit in the hole. Any thoughts on where I might get something for it?

Also, does anyone have more info on the general date of the clock?

- update - found some notes I had made at the time. Looks like the plate is 1720 with 7.5 BPM. Because of lantern pinions, build date has to be after 1912.

Kurt

Bad30-DayFrt.jpg Bad30-DayBck.jpg Bad30-DaySide1.jpg Bad30-DaySide2.jpg Bad30-DayTop.jpg

2. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a lunar clock, 30 days. I use a key that goes to my Seth Thomas crystal regulator on mine, longer shaft.

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, I didn't take this far enough. I measured the OD on the #4 chuck (don't remember if it's Swiss or American") and then measured the hole in the clock face. The hole was bigger by about 0.1mm! This should work! I pushed a little harder and it slipped in and engaged the winding arbor. Wound the clock. So, I guess I'm good to go at this point. Shoulda looked a little closer at things.

Thanks...Kurt

4. bwd

bwd Registered User

May 24, 2009
    newcastle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey kurt love these 30 day lunar clocks,almost sure they are Badishe Urenfabrik from memory ,as far as date of manufacture after 1912 sounds about right maybe john could set us straight on that.
    I see you have the paper dial type with a rather fantastic bettina ,years ago you would see them on ebay heaps.
    I once seen one with a modified flat disc pendulum from a Vossler done out in retro colour's totaly sick looking clock the top of the columns painted fire red with the columns done like candy poles Green and White.
    I belive they had 3 types of dial;s : A paper identical to yours B celluloid C hard stamped out.
    I will dig deep into the basement see if i cant find some examples for ya.I do have one with its original key i think.
    Brett.

5. bwd

bwd Registered User

May 24, 2009
    newcastle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the remnants of a paper dial type very similar to yours but the dial is not as old .this clock came with a timber base not original and not worth keeping as for the rest 98% complete
    the spring inside the pendulum and the winding hole ring be the only things missing. maybe i might make a base for it and retro the heck out of it see wot can make of it.

P8300012.JPG

6. bwd

bwd Registered User

May 24, 2009
    newcastle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These be the other two types of dial's celluloid and hard stamped out ,had to dig deep but found them.

P8300001.JPG P8300004.JPG P8300003.JPG

7. bwd

bwd Registered User

May 24, 2009
    newcastle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    these also had a very distinguished flat top dome to them.

P8300001 (1).JPG

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice to see more of them surface! The center of the universe for these clocks appears to be Australia!

I've found something that I can wind mine with, but could you measure across the winding arbor flats on the one clock that is in pieces? It would be nice to know for certain just what size key is required.

Thanks...Kurt

9. bwd

bwd Registered User

May 24, 2009
    newcastle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This be an original key for one that i am aware of, and also they came with a suspension travel hanger as pictured which looks as if its missing on yours Kurt.
    Brett

P8300007.JPG P8300010.JPG P8300011.JPG

10. bwd

bwd Registered User

May 24, 2009
    newcastle
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yes mate can confirm for you, bang on 3 mm across arbor flats both side's.
    and OD of key is 6.3 mm

P8300003 (1).JPG P8300004 (1).JPG P8300005.JPG

11. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 Burkhard Rasch, Sep 15, 2019