• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Badenia clock identification

russelldane

New User
May 17, 2011
Hi all, sorry if this is pretty standard fair. Restored clock I am looking for more information on. Any information would be greatly appreciated, even some sort of price estimate if the family decided to part with it. Many thanks

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/63/171934663.jpghttp://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/32/171934632.jpghttp://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/96/171934596.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
According to Kochmann the firm was based in Furtwangen in the Black Forest and that label was used exclusively for their export market. I'm sure others will know much more.

At first glance it looks American, I think they are referred to as cottage clocks.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Interestingly there appears to be a winding hole in the dial at 3 o'clock, but I cannot find a corresponding arbor on the movement. What am I missing? Perhaps my eyes are simply dim. Nice clock, BTW.

For those interested, Doug Stevenson has recently written a very interesting and informative article on how the Germans made American-style clocks (Clocks Magazine, April 2011, pp. 31 et seqq.). How I wish we could get him to post more often on the message board!:rolleyes:

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Greetings Russell, and welcome to the NAWCC's Message Board.

You have a very interesting clock -- what some would term an "octagon top" cottage type. It would have been among the more down-market clocks when made. But it now has considerable appeal because of its historical, horological connections.

It comes from an era, roughly the last quarter of the 19th century, when several German manufacturers were adopting then adapting American-type movements, models, and methods of manufacture. As in this case (all puns intended) the "adaption" was often in direct, not to say "cheerfully shameless" imitation.

The great horologist E. John Tyler -- one of the few experts with a solid knowledge of clock manufacture on both sides of the Atlantic -- has stressed that the use of American sounding names and such (e.g. even the paper labels) was to suggest to buyers that the clocks were of American manufacture. And the primary market for the German exports was, above all, Britain. By the time the German makers of so-called Amerikaneruhren got going, American-American clocks had been pouring into the UK and northern Europe for about four decades.

Believe (but would ask one of the American clock experts for comment) that Seth Thomas had introduced an Octagon Top cottage clock around 1857. We know that Junghans had one named "Octagon Top" that was a close imitation by 1877. And over a half-century after the first Seth Thomas model, Junghans was still flogging its "naturalized" descendant. The illustration below is from a 1911 Junghans catalogue (in the catalogues on CD series from the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Chronometrie). Your clock would have been from sometime after 1890. Sorry, I don't have a Badische/Badenia catalogue from then.

Some colleagues are collecting data on these earlier Amerikaneruhren. Might you please be so kind as to give some measurements -- e.g. height of the case, height, width and thickness of the movement plates, and the distance between the plates -- whether the various brass bits are cast or stamped, and if there are any other markings on or in the case. We'd be most grateful.

Thanks for posting the clock. There's a saying (believe it's from Stevenson, Steven :rolleyes:) that "clocks tell of their times as well as the time." This is a good example.

Regards
Zepernick

Attachments

Last edited:

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Zep, your dating (1857) is spot on for the Seth Thomas Octogon top cottage clock. The flat top was first made in 1852, according to Owen Burt's booklet, Seth Thomas 9" Cottage Clocks.
Seems I've just hit a milestone, with my 20,000th post:Party::Party::eek:. Where did the time go:rolleyes:.
The beer is on me today for anyone who drops over:D.

russelldane

New User
May 17, 2011
Many thanks to all for the information. Steven could the 2nd winding hole be for an alarm mechanisim? (could be way off the mark with this, not in same location as clock at the moment). Zepernick I would be more than happy to provide some details when i next see the clock, it may be some time. Thanks again.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Many thanks to all for the information. Steven could the 2nd winding hole be for an alarm mechanisim? (could be way off the mark with this, not in same location as clock at the moment). Zepernick I would be more than happy to provide some details when i next see the clock, it may be some time. Thanks again.
That would have been my guess. The clock does have an alarm dial and what appears to be the lever, as well as a hammer and a bell (but no hour strike). It just seemed awful crowded over there on that side of the case:D, and I've never before encountered an outboard alarm in that location (but, hey, I don't travel much in German clocks).

All in all, though, I like this little guy. As zep asked in an earlier post, some dimensions of case and movement would be both interesting, informative, and useful.

russelldane

New User
May 17, 2011
a couple more photos on file if they are of interest.

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/17/171934617.jpghttp://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/99/171934699.jpghttp://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/9/171934609.jpg

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Seems I've just hit a milestone, with my 20,000th post:Party::Party::eek:. Where did the time go:rolleyes:. The beer is on me today for anyone who drops over:D.
Harold -- We should be buying the beer for you. But in the right spirit, will send along this appreciative e-burp! Thanks for all your efforts, on and off the MB.

Russell -- Thanks for the additional photos. From here (at least :)) the plates for both the going and alarm appear to be cast, cleanly finished and relatively thick. Will be grateful for the measurements when you have a chance.

Regards
Zep

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Greetings Russell,

please post a close up pic of the movement, too.

Thank´s in advance!

albra

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanette7fl
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-